Vapour barrier Tape

Hi I live outside the city...I have bought the gyprock and am repairing a vapour barrier however neglected to buy the vapour barrier tape for the seams... I have 2" wide clear packing tape...can I use that to save another run back to the city? That stuff sticks like shit to a blanket so that should be good? Yes? No? Jim

I think it should be ok
In wrote:

Depends on the adhesive they used. Also, packing tape becomes brittle after a year or so and the slightest movement splits it. Used in on a front porch; none of it was any good. Duct tape didn't help either; adhesive quit after a couple winters/summers.

Though true , it doesn't really apply to what we are talking about...The tape will not be exposed to any sunlight or weather under the drywall and won't be able to move once the drywall is up....
In wrote:

It will still experience extremes of hot and cold and very, very few tapings have no tension of any kind on them. It will still pull apart. Use the right product for the job; it's made for the purpose.

If it over lapped and pressed tight by the drywall how in the hell can it pull apart...
Jim wrote:

Hi, I see packing tape just comes off old boxes often. Wonder it'll stay in place sealing the gap over time.

Tony is right, it can come loose over weveral years. Are these seams over studs or seams that don't have enything behind them?

Over lap the plastic good and it should be fine... I wouldn't lose any sleep over it....

Sure, it sticks now, but what about 10 years down the line? Use the real stuff. The adhesive on packing tape doesnt last.

Horse hockey...If he overlaps it good and staples it where he can after the drywall is hung where is it going to go ??I suppose you don't let SWMBO put pictures or shelves up either...LOL...No vapor barrier is perfectly tight nor does it need to be... In 10 years it will have so many holes in it it won't matter...

Some does, some doesn't The real stuff (like the red Tuck Tape) is also significantly stronger material - adhesive aside. Am MUCH more expensive.
Why bother? Just use regular paper tape, or the mesh stuff. Keep the air infiltration from happening, don't concern yourself with vapor barrier stuff. And then, paint it. One layer of oil-base paint, or two layers of latex semi-gloss will give a perm rating of 0.99 or better. Painting the tape will be like covering it with plastic, the second painting will make it even more so. So fix the areas to be taped, smooth them, paint them, then paint the room, and those taped portions will have gotten all the vapor barrier attention they would need, and you can let yourself be concerned with other things that really do need your attention.

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 07:45:12 -0800 (PST), Michael B

I think someone misunderstood. The OP is fixing the vapour barier BEHIND the Gyprock.
On Jan 24, 8:42pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Big deal, same applies. Paint it, and have a minimal vapor barrier. Paint it a second time, have it as good as wrapping the room with plastic.