Vapour barrier question

I just took out the gyproc around the bathtub...all sides. There had been leaking through the old tiles...house is 46 yrs old, but only the past year since I bought it and we take showers. The previous owners were elderly and took baths. Anyway, I have it all cleaned out and dried out...no rot, just some darkness where the mildew had started, but that's cleaned up too. I have pink insulation replacing the blown-in stuff that had to be removed/fell out when the gyproc came off. I have water-proof gyproc to go back in before I put the white acrylic surround on. Here is the question.....Should I put vapour barrier between the insulation and the gyproc? There was none before and if it hadn't leaked through the tile it would have been fine. I will be caulking of course, with silicone. If I do need vapour barrier

could I improvise and (don't laugh) use the white foam underlay I used when I put laminate flooring down? I have much left over and it seems like it would be ok. Opinions?

Reply to
JustBrowsing

if the bathroom wall is on the outside, and you have fairly cold winters, you should insulate and vapor barrier that wall. If the wall wasn't to the outside, it was insulated for sound barrier reasons, in which case, vapor barrier wouldn't be needed. The type of insulation doesn't matter very much.

bill

Reply to
bill allemann