vapor barrier question

Hi all, I have a room in an attica that is surrounded with insulation but there is no vapor barrier covering it. The room is cooler than the rest of the house. Would it make it warmer if there was a vapor barrier surrounding it. I was thinkingof putting anonther layer of insulation and then vapor barrie to improve the heat retention. I'm assuming that this is why the room is cold. Any opinions appreciated. kudos\ steve

More insulation will help, a vapor barrier little, but will keep moisture from penetrating getting insulation wet and reduce air excaping. Do both insulation and barrier. But your heat system may be lacking.
I installed a new vent duct from the furnace in the basement, which goes up into the room. When the furnace is on the room heats up nicely. But it seems to cool down quickly.

not Steve Buscemi wrote:

The vapor barrier should not make any noticeable difference in the temperature. That is what the insulation does. Vapor barriers are used to control moisture. As moist air cools, it can no longer hold all the water vapor and some will condense out. If that happens in your walls, it can wet the insulation reducing efficiency and-or damage the structure. Putting a vapor barrier in the wrong spot can make things worse.
The question of should you use a vapor barrier will depend on the construction, ventilation, any heat-moisture or A/C sources and your local weather.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
beware of adding a vapor barrier; it can easily be placed in the "wrong" location creating a whole lot of damage.
depending on your location you could trap a great deal of moisture & rot out your structure in short order.
http://mp.apogee.net/res/reinvap.asp
google "vapor barrier placement"
for more info
Bob
Steve,
Fiberglass insulation is rendered useless by circulating air currents, the vapor barier will greatly improve the comfort level for you. You might want to look into spray in foam-it does not degrade in high humidity and does not loose it's abilty to insuilate when the temperature differential is great. Fiberglass insulation has both of these problems.
Ignore r value ratings, they do not take into account real life situations and favor fiberglass insulation. If more people knew the truth about fiberglass, there would be alot more spray in foam insulation.
Art in Maine
ky1k aatt pivot ddoott net
On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 09:57:57 -0500, "not Steve Buscemi"

Albert tell us about fiberglass. People do know about foam. Remember Urea Formaldehide !!!. I have it, it is now junk-powder. and many people spent thousands removing it. Sure fiberglass performs worse when real cold, but is cheaper and no fear of another UFFI disaster.
Albert wrote:

Unless you put it on the wrong side and cause moisture problems.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Your climate has a lot to do with location of vapor barrier. I suggest you check the Building Science Corporation web site. It has researched suggestions based on climate.
You don't say anything about HVAC supply and exhaust or connection to other conditioned spaces. Orientation of roof surface and of windows will affect heat gain. What conditions do you experience in the summer?
TB