vapor barrier in basement

I'm putting up some walls and a subfloor in our basement. I've read in some places to put a vapor barrier right against the bare concrete walls, then stud it, then insulate and put up another barrier. Some other books say to omit the one against the concrete. I'm thinking I just paint it with a good basement paint. There's no water coming in, just an overall dampness. I assume the same goes for the floor? Just paint it, or plastic then stud and insulate, then plywood over that?
"mark" ( snipped-for-privacy@mail.com) writes:

One advantage to having a barrier on both sides of the studs is that you can wrap around the top and bottom plates and tape the whole thing up, making it more airtight. Also using an external barrier may offer longer protection against dampness; it's important to keep your insulation dry.
I used a black waterproof "scutan paper" that was pretty easy to work with. If you paint, I think you're supposed to grind the stuff into the concrete with a wire brush.
-- "For it is only of the new one grows tired. Of the old one never tires." -- Kierkegaard, _Repetition_
James Owens, Ottawa, Canada
"mark" ( snipped-for-privacy@mail.com) writes:

The advantages of insulating the subfloor are supposed to be minimal. Most of the cold comes in from above-ground walls.
-- "For it is only of the new one grows tired. Of the old one never tires." -- Kierkegaard, _Repetition_
James Owens, Ottawa, Canada

Don't you mean "LOSS OF HEAT"?
Ask your building inspector. Those guys are quite particular that the deed is done according to current code. A few years ago my building inspector didn't like the fact that I had vapor barrier on both sides of the wall above grade, and I had to cut the outer layer to allow it to 'breathe' above grade. Below grade he said it was ok.
Dave