vapor barrier in austin, texas

Which way should I install my fiberglass insulation? V. B. towards living area or towards exterior wall? AC probably gets used more than the heater. TIA
Add pictures here
βœ–
Go to The Journal of Light Construction and enter vapor barrier in their search engine http://www.jlconline.com/cgi-bin/jlconline.storefront
You will get more intelligent and consistent answers here than most places. The issue will be whether your code enforcement will allow you to put it where you want. Many places use national energy guidelines which may ignore your high humidity, more cooling days than heating days condition.
This article speaks most directly to your area and your problems: http://www.jlconline.com/cgi-bin/jlconline.storefront/400b4d4200349276271b401e1d2905e4/UserTemplate/82?s@0b4d4200349276271b401e1d2905e4&c ύ0db9483331d0506a04d047ce5dfc80&p=1
Here is a partial quote: Contrary to code, do not use a vapor diffusion retarder on the interior of the wall system, because walls in the hot, humid South dry to the inside, not to the outside. Especially avoid placing a sheet of poly under the gypboard, or covering the gypboard with vinyl wall-paper. The only place where we use poly is on the interior side of walls around tub and shower enclosures that do not abut an outside wall. In these localized areas, we feel it’s prudent to protect the partition wall cavity from the high humidity generated in the bathroom. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Keep the whole world singing. . . . DanG

Add pictures here
βœ–
So does this mean use a non-faced insulation, or reverse the vapor barrier and place towards the exterior wall???

Add pictures here
βœ–
dino wrote:

If you are going to use a vapor barrier, it belongs on the warm side of the insulation. If you expect to be cooling your house more often than you expect to be heating it, put the vapor barrier on the outside.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Austin Texas... what vapor?
Add pictures here
βœ–

site has excellent climate related information. It's based on research, although they try to sound folksy. Tom Baker
Add pictures here
βœ–