Value of items

Page 3 of 4
On 8/27/2013 5:52 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Best Buy will take them off your hands. CRT monitors or TV's are white elephants today and you cannot give them away and some charities will not even take them.
On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 18:54:57 -0400, Frank

Make that MOST charities. We have e-waste recycling depots up here in Ontario now. Used to have to pay to get rid of them - now you pay the disposal fee upfront when you buy it.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Hi, Yup, 10.00 to drop off old CRT TV set at recycle depot. Here in Alberta.
On 08/27/2013 10:05 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

It's free here in Oregon, at least where I live. We have a law that prohibits dumping them in the pit, but they will take them at the same facility and put them on a pallet to be shipped off somewhere.
Jon

Oregon eh. Anywhere near this place? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wankers_Corner,_Oregon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wanker
On 8/27/2013 5:54 PM, Frank wrote:

Around here if someone sets a CRT TV or computer monitor on the curb, within an hour, it will be smashed right there and the copper deflection coil will be taken. The scavengers always leave the debris on the curb where they tore the old CRT unit apart. They make a hell of a mess when they get their hands on an old big screen TV. O_o
TDD
I recoil at the thought.
Yes, in the city near me, there are a lot of copper clapper kleptomaniacs, like Claude Cooper from Cleveland. As reported by the Cleaning Lady.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRfuTTd09vo

One of my former friends was a copper grabber. He used to break up the ferrite with a hammer, and then rewind the copper into small coils, for some thing to do.
I don't approve of people leaving a big mess like that. But then, they didn't ask me.

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 18:54:57 -0400, Frank

Freecycle members frequently offer CRT monitors and tv's
The TVs seem to be taken when offered, except maybe the projection tvs. . Maybe the monitors get taken too, but not as quickly, by people who don't know where else to get a used monitor.
(I would get my at the end of a hamfest, when sellers left behind ones they could not sell. And since they last 5 or 10 years or longer, I only need a new one when i refurbish a computer.) They have thin screen monitors at hamfests now for 20 dollars, but the wide screen thinscreen are still 90. Only one webpage that I rarely visit really makes me move from right to left and back. If it gets worse I'll spend the 90, or 70 by then..

Thanks. This adds to my feeling that Goodwill is more expensive here than some other places. Because of supply and demand. In Asheville NC CDs were a dollar, and here, at least at the Salvation Army, they're 3. And VCR were 25 dollars at the SA until less that a year ago. Finally they're down to 10 but still not 5 like someone else reported.
I too should try a more expensive n'hood.
Interesting thing: I'm on 3 or 4 Freecycle mailing lists. and in the area around me, the number of things offered is at least 10 times the number of things requested.
On two other lists, in adjoining areas, the number of things requested is at least as many as the number of things offered. And neither of these two areas are poor. It's possible that the particular people asking for things are poor, but the area around me has some poor people too and yet the numbers are as they are.
I'm not against asking for things. I've had things I didn't use and was happy to give away once I knew someone wanted them. But the difference in ratios must mean something.

Pick it up from the curb and take it to a donation center, such as Good Will, Volunteers Of America, etc. Make a few phone calls and I'm sure you will find a place that accepts electronics for recycling.
My understanding is that in some states, if you sell electronics, you must accept electronics for recycling.

a few years ago while in California, I had 5 dead monitors to dispose of. *IF* I hid them one at a time in my trash bin, I was liable for something like a $500 fine if the trash collectors found one. So, called trash pickup and found the charge to pick up a dead monitor was $25, ...each. Then, looked around for a local recycling plant who then paid me $5 each for the monitors. All in all, not bad. Only 3 miles away, made $25 dollars, kept the environment clean(er), and somebody got the gold and nickel out of those. I think they wanted the glass, too. Not sure.
On 08/28/2013 07:27 AM, RobertMacy wrote:

They make money from extracting the lead (several pounds worth from each CRT) from the glass:
http://www.waste-management-world.com/articles/2013/01/crt-lead-recycling-furnace-video.html
Jon
On 8/28/2013 9:27 AM, RobertMacy wrote:

The copper deflection coil on the neck of the picture tube is the most valuable item in the CRT monitor. ^_^
TDD
'Stormin Mormon[_10_ Wrote: > ;3113216']

Next time, tape a sign to it saying "Works Good", and that will increase the chance that someone will take it.
The problem is that computer technology is changing faster than computer products are breaking down or wearing out. So, there's an abundance of old computer hardware that still works, but no one wants because there is newer technology coming out all of the time.
Hewlitt Packard; one of the largest companies in Silicon Valley, is facing bankruptcy over the next 5 years because it hasn't kept up with the changing technology. Now, when everyone is wanting tablet computers and smart phones, Hewlitt Packard is still making desktops and laptops. The new CEO is trying to pull the company out of the fire with her "5 year plan", but if the last 5 years are any indication of what the next 5 will be like, HP stock will be going south in a hurry over the next 5 years. Ditto for Dell.
Let's face it, MOST people don't need much computing power. We're social animals, and a smart phone that allows us to talk to, text and video conference with other people meets our real needs better than a 200 terabyte hard drive. Computers are gradually going to evolve into communications devices; like powerful smart phones that can surf the net, allow you to videoconference with other people, pay your bills in your spare time (like while you're on the bus going to work or back), and all that. People need better communications devices more than they need better computers.
--
nestork

On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 03:10:55 +0200, nestork

Put on a sign " $50.00" and it will dissapear overnight!!!

If HP goes bankript it will be because it hasn't made a quality product in over 10 years. Ever since they joined up with Compaq, they have produced more crap than quality - particularly in the "consumer" field.

Same goes for Dell. Every one I get involved with turns into "the dell from hell"

If they are using it as a toy, I agree with you - but for serious business use you still need a real computer. Try doing architectural or survey CAD on a tablet or smart phone sometime - or run an insurance data-base on a cell-phone. A 24" monitor is not enough real-estate for many applications.
On 8/27/2013 10:28 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

CY: Bother, we had the same idea.

CY: Sorry to hear that. Will they offer their new line of desktop computers at Dollar Tree?

CY: Oops, that doesn't sound good.

CY: Maybe a niche market for the serious computer needs?
On 8/27/2013 9:28 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I work on their business PC's and they're good machines. The problems with any of the business computers I service is the simple fact that the corporate office of the stores won't pay for regular cleaning of the machines to get the dust out of them and the computers overheat and quit. They don't call us until the darn things die. O_o

I have a bunch of Dell computers, I'm on a Precision 390 right now and the Dell computers here at the office are good machines. Just like HP, the business machines are good and only die when they're allowed to clog up with dust which causes them to overheat. o_O

I have to scan documents and upload them along with pictures to corporate service companies we do work for and it's difficult to do on a laptop and would be darn near impossible to do on a tablet. I don't think I could run the software I use to download results from our network test equipment to a tablet for upload to our service companies. ^_^
TDD

CY: I thought the sign should read "first $25 takes it"?

CY: Yes, like the analog televisions? And, the Beta tape players before VHS. And the reel to reel tape for television. I used to use those reel tapes when I was in school.

CY: What a shame. They are likely to go the way of the multi national conglomerate that employed so many thousands of people. You remember Amalgamated Buggy Whip? They shared a manufacturing complex with Global Carriage Wheel.

CY: I can't comment on desk tops, but I see a LOT of people in my daily life, carrying smartphones. I'm near to senior citizen. I do carry a cell phone, but doesn't do aps, or anything video.
Computers are gradually going to evolve into

CY: I do believe you're right.

On Tuesday, August 27, 2013 2:52:56 PM UTC-7, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Until about ten years ago I had trouble getting rid of old appliances like water heaters, etc. Now since the price of steel went up the junk man comes to my door asking me if I have any. Just wait until they realize how valuable those rare earth metals are in electronics. They will be coming to your door asking you for them.

The landfills of today are the metal and mineral mines of the future, methane is already being collected from some landfills. It would be interesting to be alive in 100 years just to see how waste is handled. After their term is up, politicians could be ground into a fine powder and use to federalize crops since many of them are pieces of crap anyway. The real fiery ones could be ground up and used for fuel but the CO2 that would come out of them could be a real problem. ^_^
TDD