Value of items

Page 1 of 4
Amazing, in this modern and changing society.
Things used to be valuable, now can't give em away. I had a CRT computer monitor from the church. Fairly recent, works fine. They went with flat panel, and gave me the old one. I've got too many monitors, so I put it on the curb.
Couple days later, it's still there. I look, and someone cut off the wire, but left the rest.
Five years ago, the church probably paid $300 for that monitor. Now, I can't give it away free.
What is this world coming to?
replying to Stormin Mormon , passerby wrote:

And it will be there for a long time, since it's considered hazardous waste. Trash collectors won't pick it up either. I drive by one such TV for about three or four months now - can't remember how long ago they've put it out on the curb - there's already grass growing around and inside it. They probably missed the deadline by a week or two - trash collectors no longer pick electronics up at the curb here in PA since earlier this year.
On Tuesday, August 27, 2013 6:44:01 PM UTC-4, passerby wrote:

Yeah, here in NJ you used to be able to put TVs out on bulk pickup days once a month when they pick up big, non garbage stuff, like sofas, furniture, etc. Now you have to take it to special electronics recycling locations. Not sure if they charge, but there might be a fee. They in turn load it into cargo ships that go the hell holes like China where people making $1 a day, sit in toxic scrap yards and take them apart.
On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 17:11:06 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

When I was a boy, we used to have to *stand* while we disassembled Conestoga wagons.

And that's why I see so many of them dumped in the ditch in the country.
Make garbage a moral issue, and people will get immoral with it. The environuts are causing the very problems that they think they want to prevent. Idiots.
--
Tegger

The idiots are the people who throw the garbage in the ditch. There are so many places that are either required to accept electronics for recycling or do it as a free service that you'd have to be an idiot not to know where to recycle old CRT's and computers.
Idiot reporting, sir! I took the monitor, minus cord, to my church's dumpster. I figured it was about to be put in dumpster, and I gave it another chance at life.
I did a good save, last year. Some folks cleaning out house, and they were literally about to throw a Hallicrafter tube type receiver out the second floor window to the roll off dumpster. I intercepted it, and shipped it to a friend who restores such things.
Note to Tegger: Yesterday, I set up a mail rule, I no longer see Moaners Hub posts, which end in example dot com. You also, sadly, disappeared. If that concerns you (not appearing on one PC in one living room) you can change your reply email adress by one letter.
On 8/27/2013 10:20 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

This is the reason I (and Homeowners' Hub) used example.com: http://www.iana.org/domains/reserved
It appears that example.org is also used for this purpose, so I have changed my domain to example.org. Do I get past the sentry now?
--
Tegger

Where did the lead come from in the first place?
--
Tegger

...and if it's in the glass, it *isn't* going back.
On Tuesday, August 27, 2013 10:20:39 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Surely anyone throwing CRT's in a ditch is a jerk. But I suppose there may be some places where there are no reasonable options for disposing of CRTs. It's kind of hard to imagine and I think it would be rare. Here in NJ we have bulk pickup once a month for large household items that are not like general garbage. They used to take CRTs, TVs, etc. When they stopped taking them a couple years ago, the new procedure was that you had to take them to one of the two recycling centers in the township, which is still very easy, at most less than a 10 min drive for anyone.
I suppose there might be some rare places dumb enough not to have a reasonable way for residents to properly dispose of these things, but I'd sure like to see some examples.
On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 09:29:02 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

When I lived in NY, there was no reasonable way to get rid of old furniture, appliances, or pretty much anything outside normal household garbage. They often ended up at the side of the road.

There are.
...snip...

What's your definition of "NY"?
As far as I know NY stands for New York, the state, and I can assure you that in many, many municipalities in NY there are lots of reasonable ways to get rid of just about *anything* outside of normal household garbage.

Examples?
On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 11:22:55 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

In my case it was Dutchess County.

So you admit that there are other municipalities in NY where they are too stupid to come in out of the rain? At least you've reached step-1 (admitting the problem).

See above. Portage county OH, was another. If there was a way of getting rid of "naughty" stuff, they sure hid it well enough. It cost me $25/tire to get someone to take them. Idiot lefties make everything difficult.

I admit no such thing simply because I would be speaking without any knowledge of that fact.
Just because I know of many, many municipalities in NY (including NYC) that make it easy to recycle electronics, doesn't mean that I know of others that don't. I can only speak from my experience and that is that many municipalities in NY and many other states make it very easy to recycle. I've yet to experience one that didn't, but I haven't tested them all. That, I will admit.
If you say there are places that make it difficult, the best I can do is decide whether I want to believe you or perhaps do my own research. Since at this point I haven't made a decision either way, I don't (can't?) "admit" that such places exist. I don't doubt that they do exist, if only because i don't think you'd lie to us, I simply have no experience or knowledge that would allow me to ”admit" it.
...snip...

I've got that one figured out, at least for small numbers, like maybe up to 4.
On those occasions when I have tires to get rid of, I wait until the dark of night and drop them off near the service entrance of tire places where I have done business in the past. I'm guessing that they charge more for "tire disposal" than it actually costs them, so I simply try to get a better deal by having them dispose of a couple of extra tires at no charge to me.
On 8/30/2013 3:52 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

that would be illegal to do. it's called dumping hazardous waste.
similar to people who drop off animals after hours at the animal rescue i work at. the last one i heard of was a horse tied to the front doorknob.
On 9/3/2013 1:51 PM, chaniarts wrote:

If the OP were to call a service station and ask what their tire disposal fee is, he may find it is much cheaper than what his local refuse hauler charges. The shop my sister manages charges $5/tire versus the $25 fee typically charged by residential trash haulers in this area.
Amusingly enough, she's been having a problem with thieves stealing used tires from her business. A good many used tires still have plenty of life in them, and in tough economic times there's a lot of people willing to buy used tires cheap. She's got an arrangement with a company that actually pays her $3/tire, and comes by weekly to pick them up. So they're a moneymaker for her on both sides of the deal. But she's caught employees from the service station down the street stealing them from her trash compound. The service station sells used tires direct to the public, and when they run low they raid their competition's stockpiles. The thieves had the chutzpah to assure her that they had her shop manager's permission to take the tires, because they had no idea that that particular shop was managed by her.
It's the same issue with used batteries and discarded metal parts, of course. They're worth even more to the recyclers, so she has to keep that stuff locked up in the shop, since the metal pirates will make off with all of it otherwise.
In this thread, I'm the OP, and I set a computer monitor out to the curb. It was still there days later, but the cord had been cut off. So, tell me why I'd call about tire prices?
I knew a guy who lost a box of tools. Some one he had met (note, I didn't say a friend of his) told his wife he said it was OK, and she let him take the tools.
On 9/3/2013 3:29 PM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

On Tue, 03 Sep 2013 11:51:20 -0700, chaniarts
Re: Value of items:

Used to be you could sell them to the dog-food factory. Now it's either put them down or drop them off with the "shelter" people who caused the problem if the first place.