Value of a Kreg Jig

Pocket-hole joinery *IS* a conventional woodworking technique, dumbass limey! What a clueless jerk.

Reply to
krw

It's not surprising that you would think that.

Reply to
krw

Yep, but if 16' means a 16' wide built-in unit with face frames and whatnot, a pocket hole jib will be quite helpful.

Reply to
Pete C.

"Pete C." wrote in news:4e52f93e$0$12803$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreader.readnews.com:

you use the pocket screws for the case and face-frame,not the shelves. (unless you're making shelves with a reinforcing edge.)

16 foot long shelves will sag quite a bit,and will not hold much weight. :D

plus,it would not look very good. better to build a couple of smaller cases.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Reply to
krw

I would buy the $40 kit like this one at Lowes.

You can buy the $30 clamp in the $100 kreg kit for around 5 bucks at Harbor Fright, works fine for this use, but it's not really needed.

I would buy the $100 kit if I made 3 16' bookcases every day, 6 days a week, with face frames.

The $20 kit for rare use, the $40 kit is perfect for occasional and even routine use. For book cases, pocket holes would be good for the face frame, if using a face frame.

Dry wall screws would work, but poorly. You want pan head screws or washer head screws for pocket holes. The bugle heads on drywall screws would sorta work on very hard woods, but would be hard to control depth on soft woods and would be prone to splitting the wood. I would never use drywall screws in pocket holes, unless you could find pan head dw screws, and you can't:-)

Reply to
Jack Stein