Vacuum Cleaner Recommendation?

Page 2 of 2

Phisherman wrote:

No one uses built-in vacuum? I have been for last 40 years or so.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Friend of mine's got one of those at the beach house. Sure is a lot more quiet.
Jon
That's a good advantage. Maybe all the sound is contained in the mechanical room?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
on 11/30/2009 7:47 AM (ET) Stormin Mormon wrote the following:

All except the sucking noise.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
on 11/30/2009 1:45 AM (ET) Jon Danniken wrote the following:

Mine is 35 years old. Replaced the motor brushes about 5 years ago, and then the motor last year. No need for HEPA filters or bags, since whatever passes through the internal filter is exhausted outside.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 21:40:13 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:

Always wondered about those - popular in big houses 100 or so years ago from what I've read. How well do they work? Do the outlets that aren't being used seal well? Does the pipework behind the walls ever jam up (presumably the wall pipework's wider than the vac hose so in theory it shouldn't happen, but still...)

2nd that
On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 17:06:10 -0800, utilitarian wrote:

Whatever happened to the days when you'd walk down to your local engineering place and just grab replacement bearings off the shelf? :-)
on 11/30/2009 8:31 AM (ET) Jules wrote the following:

I have one of those places about 6 miles from me.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Agree..... but what if you rent?

I picked up an upright from the Sears parts/service store. My use is light to medium. They had a bunch of refurbs, returns, discos, missing accessories vacs on display. Some discounted very well. Mine marked down from 250 to 150. Yea it's all plastic. $11 for 8 standard bags.
utilitarian wrote:

I just bought a Rigid shop vac for $20 at HD. If you don't have carpets, consider a shop vac. They suck better than a girlfriend I had in college who played French Horn in the Longhorn Band (if it blows, it's gotta suck somewhere!).
The Rigid, which is about 1/2 the size of a garbage can, goes to the shop, freeing the $15 Walmart shop vac for exclusive house duty - no more moving back and forth.
Unfortunately, shop vacs don't have bags - but on the other hand, when used as a household vacuum, you'll only have to empty it once ever couple of years.
On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 11:20:27 -0600, HeyBub wrote:

Now if you gave us a name, we could have named a scientific unit after her...
Might have to pick one of those up, anyway (if they're doing the same deal up here) - that's stupidly cheap.

Seriously. I could use a new shop vac, mine is pretty rickety and was cheap to begin with (doesn't have "blow" connection, and there's times I could use that, like cleaning out attic vents.) Problem is, I was just at HD on Saturday, and visiting that place twice in one week could push someone over the edge.
nate
On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 13:00:20 -0800, N8N wrote:

:-) I don't mind HD too much - my local one doesn't seem too bad when it comes to employees pouncing on people and doing the "how can I help you?" routine, and it's a very big store in an area of low population density, so outside of "peak hours" it's not full to the gills with people.
What I have found though is that their prices are often higher than the locally-run farm supply place just down the road, so it really pays to know which store is good for what kinds of stuff...
cheers
Jules
Jules wrote:

Her name was "Carol." Let's see: The "calorie" maybe? Seems to fit: The amount of heat necessary to raise one pound of water (or equivalent) one degree (Farenheit or angle of elevation?).

It was a Black Friday deal. May not still be available. It was this one: (Amazon.com product link shortened)59620053&sr=8-16
I found it here: http://www.blackfriday.info/sales/homedepot-black-friday-ad.html Look for Ridgid 16-Gallon 5-HP Wet/Dry Vac - $19.88

Google: eureka model 1934 -----
- gpsman
utilitarian wrote:

Eureka C5712A commercial. About $200.
"(Amazon.com product link shortened)"
I bought one at the Business Costco for about $150 on sale, but AFAIK there are only a couple of Business Costcos in the world, and Amazon's price is lower than the non-sale price at the Business Costco.
Avoid bag-less vacuum cleaners at all costs.