Vacuum Cleaner Recommendation?

Kenmore Central vac, vented to the outdoors. You can use a bag, or go bagless. I use a bag, easier to clean. Cost for a base model kit is between 400 and 500, depending on local.

Benefit of venting to outdoors? any dust escaping the bag is gonzo. I would never use a canister type vac again.

Reply to
Iowna Uass

utilitarian wrote in news:ffaffdce-f384-46d0-b159- snipped-for-privacy@m20g2000vbp.googlegroups.com:

I picked up an upright from the Sears parts/service store. My use is light to medium. They had a bunch of refurbs, returns, discos, missing accessories vacs on display. Some discounted very well. Mine marked down from 250 to 150. Yea it's all plastic. $11 for 8 standard bags.

Reply to
Red Green

snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The ones that don't suck really suck.

Reply to
Red Green

I just bought a Rigid shop vac for $20 at HD. If you don't have carpets, consider a shop vac. They suck better than a girlfriend I had in college who played French Horn in the Longhorn Band (if it blows, it's gotta suck somewhere!).

The Rigid, which is about 1/2 the size of a garbage can, goes to the shop, freeing the $15 Walmart shop vac for exclusive house duty - no more moving back and forth.

Unfortunately, shop vacs don't have bags - but on the other hand, when used as a household vacuum, you'll only have to empty it once ever couple of years.

Reply to
HeyBub

The "new" Kirbys come with their signature "re-usedable" bag but this one came with disposables as well.

imo, re-usable bags are a dusty mess to empty / clean.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK
2nd that
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Mine is 35 years old. Replaced the motor brushes about 5 years ago, and then the motor last year. No need for HEPA filters or bags, since whatever passes through the internal filter is exhausted outside.

Reply to
willshak

on 11/30/2009 7:47 AM (ET) Stormin Mormon wrote the following:

All except the sucking noise.

Reply to
willshak

on 11/29/2009 8:26 PM (ET) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote the following:

You also need a strong man to carry it up the stairs.

Reply to
willshak

I have one of those places about 6 miles from me.

Reply to
willshak

Now if you gave us a name, we could have named a scientific unit after her...

Might have to pick one of those up, anyway (if they're doing the same deal up here) - that's stupidly cheap.

Reply to
Jules

In that respect a 30 year old Kirby is way better than a new one. I have an ancient Kirby upright for my garage (finished loft upstairs) and I expect it to outlast me - and it doesn't weigh a ton like the new ones. Only downside is the poor filtration from the reusable cloth bag; in the house I use an old Filter Queen and it is far preferable - nothing detectable makes it through the FQ to the exhaust. No dusty/musty smell when vacuuming and lots of suction. If I could find another FQ for the garage for a reasonable price I would use it.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Seriously. I could use a new shop vac, mine is pretty rickety and was cheap to begin with (doesn't have "blow" connection, and there's times I could use that, like cleaning out attic vents.) Problem is, I was just at HD on Saturday, and visiting that place twice in one week could push someone over the edge.

nate

Reply to
N8N

:-) I don't mind HD too much - my local one doesn't seem too bad when it comes to employees pouncing on people and doing the "how can I help you?" routine, and it's a very big store in an area of low population density, so outside of "peak hours" it's not full to the gills with people.

What I have found though is that their prices are often higher than the locally-run farm supply place just down the road, so it really pays to know which store is good for what kinds of stuff...

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

Her name was "Carol." Let's see: The "calorie" maybe? Seems to fit: The amount of heat necessary to raise one pound of water (or equivalent) one degree (Farenheit or angle of elevation?).

It was a Black Friday deal. May not still be available. It was this one:

I found it here:
for Ridgid 16-Gallon 5-HP Wet/Dry Vac - $19.88

Reply to
HeyBub

Agree..... but what if you rent?

Reply to
me

You're right, the old Hoovers suck!

Reply to
Callie

Google: eureka model 1934 -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

Eureka C5712A commercial. About $200.

"

" I bought one at the Business Costco for about $150 on sale, but AFAIK there are only a couple of Business Costcos in the world, and Amazon's price is lower than the non-sale price at the Business Costco.

Avoid bag-less vacuum cleaners at all costs.

Reply to
SMS