Vacuum Cleaner Recommendation?

Page 1 of 2

Hi,
To those of you who helped me diagnose my vacuum cleaner problem, of previous posting, thankyou.
But I have decided it's time for a new vac.
My Eureka Boss vacuum has finally worn out after about 10 years. Motor bearings came apart and the local repair man says to junk it. It was a cheap vac, only about $89, I think, but pretty good, to last this long.
I can't find new Eureka like it. The Eurekas are are all bagless now, apparently.
I'm looking for another vac, of any brand, to replace it. One that has a bag, not these new bagless ones.
Any recommendations for a cheap but good vac, with bag ?
Thanks
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 17:06:10 -0800 (PST), utilitarian

Kirby, but lots of $$$. Will last forever.
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 29, 5:26 pm, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

My 85 year old mom died last year after buying a Kirby the previous year for $1800 to replace the one she bought in the 60's.
The old still worked fine.....I think she bought a new one to "help out that nice young man who was selling them". You'd think for that price you'd get a lifetime supply of bags delivered 4 times a year.
OP- Interested? Make me an offer. I'll see if my sister (executor) wants to sell it.
cheers Bob
Add pictures here
✖

Kirby don't need no steenkin bags!

Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 30, 3:29 am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

The "new" Kirbys come with their signature "re-usedable" bag but this one came with disposables as well.
imo, re-usable bags are a dusty mess to empty / clean.
cheers Bob
Add pictures here
✖
on 11/29/2009 8:26 PM (ET) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote the following:

You also need a strong man to carry it up the stairs.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

In that respect a 30 year old Kirby is way better than a new one. I have an ancient Kirby upright for my garage (finished loft upstairs) and I expect it to outlast me - and it doesn't weigh a ton like the new ones. Only downside is the poor filtration from the reusable cloth bag; in the house I use an old Filter Queen and it is far preferable - nothing detectable makes it through the FQ to the exhaust. No dusty/musty smell when vacuuming and lots of suction. If I could find another FQ for the garage for a reasonable price I would use it.
nate
Add pictures here
✖
utilitarian wrote:

Dunno, I'm still using a Hoover from the mid sixties. Damn thing's built like a tank.
Jon
Add pictures here
✖
Blue and white? Mine's, can't remember what model. But it actually has some metal in it.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Mine's red and white, made in Canton, Ohio. Says it takes "AC only".
Jon
Add pictures here
✖

You're right, the old Hoovers suck!
Add pictures here
✖
Walmart oughta have something. My personal vac is a Hoover, that takes type A bags. Probably older than I am. Actually made of metal.
Oh... suggestion. Look for top fill. They hold more dirt, and less likely to clog.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
utilitarian wrote:

Drive through any large apartment project on the closest weekend to the end of the month. Odds are you will find 2 or 3, sitting by the dumpsters, that just need to be field-stripped and have the dust bunnies removed, and the string cut away from the beater bar. No, I'm not joking. Done it more than once, for when my siblings were moving out on their own.
If you can't bring yourself to dumpster dive, go to local Goodwill or Salvation Army, or similar. They usually have a couple, even in this small town.
-- aem sends....
Add pictures here
✖
aemeijers wrote:

If your dumpster diving yields a Filter Queen, snag it. Best vacuum I've ever used. I wouldn't pay anywhere near what they ask for a *new* one, mind you, and their marketing smacks of Amway, but they're a damn fine vacuum cleaner.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Nope.
It's a bit heavier than I expected, but seems to work fine. Like the hand attachment. Not motorized like a Powermate, the the airflow is sufficient to move the brush.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 17:06:10 -0800 (PST), utilitarian

They all suck.
Add pictures here
✖
But, some are more suckier than others.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote in wrote:

The ones that don't suck really suck.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 17:06:10 -0800 (PST), utilitarian

Panasonic
Add pictures here
✖