Vacuum cleaner

Our Dirt Devil upright is about to give up its ghost...Any advise on the new models out there ?
A lot of them lookes as though they came from Captain's Kirks Enterprise...

Every brand has a new model every year.
try: http://www99.epinions.com /
Andy & Carol wrote:

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 23:51:00 GMT, "Andy & Carol"

I use a 5-gallon ShopVac for everything. It's easier to handle than an upright.

Mark Lloyd
We have a couple of Oreks. Bought one at store, the other refurbished over the Internet (for upstairs, so we don't have to cart it up and down). We live at the DE shore on the Atlantic ocean. LOTS of sand (small furry dog, grandchildren, etc.). Picks things up as nice as you please. However, on shag carpet (one bedroom), it is a trifle difficult to push, as there is no self-propel feature. On tighter carpets, floors, you can't beat it. Local outlet here, so no problem getting bags, a spare belt, etc. Have had it for about 5 years now, and no problems. Simple design is good...
professorpaul wrote:

I thought their claim to fame is that they're super light so carting them around is easy.
We live at the DE shore on the Atlantic ocean. LOTS of sand

FWIW, I use a Hoover commercial model I bought for ten bucks at the bankruptcy sale of a local merchant, and it works just fine. I'm not convinced all the allegedly high tech models can beat old fashioned reliability.
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net says...

We have a Dyson for the downstairs. My wife loves it. A couple of months ago I found that Orec had a deal with my employer ($150 delivered) so I picked one up for the upstairs. It seemed kinda "cheap" (I suppose light has that feel ;) but it works quite well. We also have local stores (I think, one went out of business) so I wasn't worried about bags or belts. They're common enough that the consumables should be easy to find.
--
Keith

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 23:51:00 GMT, "Andy & Carol"

own purpose of cleaning because they can get messy when emptying the canister and cleaning the filter.

Ditto that!! Even when emptying outside you can see a huge dust cloud all around the person. The filter folds get clogged with strings of compacted dust which have to be picked out or blown out with compressed air. I call them 'dust boogies' (as opposed to "dust bunnies"). We took it to the cabin for minimal use. Bought the sears top-end cannister and we are very happy with it. Never tought we'd care for a cannister - let alone a Sear - but it's very effective and self propelled. A small, handheld power head is great for furniture. About $425.
C & E wrote:

Ditto on that. Nothing but headaches with so called bagless. I tried two of different brand and spent lots of time, cleaning filters, unclogging, went back to bagged one. House has built-in system but I need another upright one for light occasional cleaning.
Tony Hwang wrote:

I've got a Dyson that is easy to empty... no cloud either. You guys must be doing it wrong.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Andy & Carol wrote:

was the best even though it was about the cheapest.