Vacuum a 3M filtrete filter?

Threaded View
Click Here To Start a New Thread
Does anyone just fac the intake side of these filters and keep using
for another few months?

Re: Vacuum a 3M filtrete filter?
I'm sure there will be as many opinions on this as there is people
responding.  I have been vacuuming my pleated filters.  I do have a dog
that brings in much orange soil (NC) and that vacuums out pretty easily.
  I do have a auto bypass unit on the furnace which would show if the
back pressure increases and it hasn't.  The by pass was put there
because there are multiple zones.  If only a small zone calls for AC or
heat, the by pass would allow some of the cooled or heated air to return
to the intake plenum thus cutting down on the back pressure.  So, I
guess I'm saying yes.  But don't get crazy and keep them for 40  years.
  I would like to buy some of the washable filters, like the ones from
BoAir and others, but haven't done it yet.

Re: Vacuum a 3M filtrete filter?
Don't know about these but cabin air filter on my Subaru is supposed to
catch small particles but costs $50.  I've been just taking it out and
washing it.  Seems to still work OK.

Re: Vacuum a 3M filtrete filter?
On Jul 29, 8:35 am, "Stormin Mormon"
compressed air is your friend when blowing dirt out of air filters

Re: Vacuum a 3M filtrete filter?
I have a new vac with removable filter -- and after each use I take it
outside and use the shop vac to blow out all the dust ... then put it
back in.  I intend to do this as long as possible.  I just switched
from the old fiberglass looking ac filters to the pleated kind.  I
will take it out and do the same thing -- for as long as possible.

Re: Vacuum a 3M filtrete filter?
Don't think its advised on my lawn mower filter.

Re: Vacuum a 3M filtrete filter?
Take it out, a few squeezes in some gasoline, ready to go again.

Re: Vacuum a 3M filtrete filter?
The material can be washed and reused. The trick is keeping the
cardboard intact. I use something like greased lightning for smoke
particles. I also cut up the material for various filters. I can soak
and squeeze it out. Vacuuming will just get rid of large particles,
but will extend use.

After washing use water rinse.

Greg

Re: Vacuum a 3M filtrete filter?
I usually prefer the less dense filters, as the fine ones do restrict air
low and cut efficiency.

Greg

Re: Vacuum a 3M filtrete filter?
Have to repost, google is googling.

Take the filter outdoors. Lay it flat. Spray greased lightning on both
sides. Soak, then tahe garden hose and spray both sides. Try to keep
cardboard intact. Act fast. I have done this many times. I also cut up the
material for other filters. You can then squeeze it out. With the cardboard
let it dry in the sun.

Greg

Re: Vacuum a 3M filtrete filter?
Nothing wrong with having a 'prefilter'. Saw one a few days
ago, where a woman had made what amounted to a 'pillow
case' with a spot of Velcro on a flap. She just takes the filter
out, shakes to fuzz from the 'prefilter', puts it back together.

Re: Vacuum a 3M filtrete filter?
yea, but the prefilter is not pleated.. so you are restricting the air
quite a bit more than to have the pleated filter alone.   The pleats
add many times more surface area.  I experienced that on my shop vac.
I have a clearsteam pleated, that I wrapped in a vac bag, then I have
a bag for all the "stuff".   When I pulled off my "wrap" around the
pleated filter the suction increased dramatically.    Given that,
either the prefilter needs to be very porous (does not filter much) or
another pleated, or non existent.

Threaded View
Click Here To Start a New Thread

Site Timeline