Vacuum a 3M filtrete filter?

Does anyone just fac the intake side of these filters and keep using for another few months?

Reply to
kansascats

I'm sure there will be as many opinions on this as there is people responding. I have been vacuuming my pleated filters. I do have a dog that brings in much orange soil (NC) and that vacuums out pretty easily. I do have a auto bypass unit on the furnace which would show if the back pressure increases and it hasn't. The by pass was put there because there are multiple zones. If only a small zone calls for AC or heat, the by pass would allow some of the cooled or heated air to return to the intake plenum thus cutting down on the back pressure. So, I guess I'm saying yes. But don't get crazy and keep them for 40 years. I would like to buy some of the washable filters, like the ones from BoAir and others, but haven't done it yet.

Reply to
Art Todesco

Don't know about these but cabin air filter on my Subaru is supposed to catch small particles but costs $50. I've been just taking it out and washing it. Seems to still work OK.

Reply to
Frank

compressed air is your friend when blowing dirt out of air filters

Reply to
bob haller

I have a new vac with removable filter -- and after each use I take it outside and use the shop vac to blow out all the dust ... then put it back in. I intend to do this as long as possible. I just switched from the old fiberglass looking ac filters to the pleated kind. I will take it out and do the same thing -- for as long as possible.

Reply to
Dottie

Don't think its advised on my lawn mower filter.

Reply to
Frank

The material can be washed and reused. The trick is keeping the cardboard intact. I use something like greased lightning for smoke particles. I also cut up the material for various filters. I can soak and squeeze it out. Vacuuming will just get rid of large particles, but will extend use.

After washing use water rinse.

Greg

Reply to
Gz

I usually prefer the less dense filters, as the fine ones do restrict air low and cut efficiency.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Have to repost, google is googling.

Take the filter outdoors. Lay it flat. Spray greased lightning on both sides. Soak, then tahe garden hose and spray both sides. Try to keep cardboard intact. Act fast. I have done this many times. I also cut up the material for other filters. You can then squeeze it out. With the cardboard let it dry in the sun.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Take it out, a few squeezes in some gasoline, ready to go again.

Reply to
Michael B

Nothing wrong with having a 'prefilter'. Saw one a few days ago, where a woman had made what amounted to a 'pillow case' with a spot of Velcro on a flap. She just takes the filter out, shakes to fuzz from the 'prefilter', puts it back together.

Reply to
Michael B

yea, but the prefilter is not pleated.. so you are restricting the air quite a bit more than to have the pleated filter alone. The pleats add many times more surface area. I experienced that on my shop vac. I have a clearsteam pleated, that I wrapped in a vac bag, then I have a bag for all the "stuff". When I pulled off my "wrap" around the pleated filter the suction increased dramatically. Given that, either the prefilter needs to be very porous (does not filter much) or another pleated, or non existent.

Reply to
kansascats