Vac Recommendation Needed

I need a vacuum cleaner to pick up kitty litter that my cats paw out onto a hard surfaced floor that has to be vacuumed at least twice a day. Something lightweight and easy for an old lady to use. I now use a Bissell 3-Way Bagless that doesn't do much other than scatter the litter. Thank you for any comments.

Forget the vacuum, get rid of the cat. Take him over to Buford Highway-- the Chinese restaurants will pay you for him....yum!
Pat
Cheap , get a broom and dustpan, $5. 99 Or a central unit basement mounted with floor returns 1000.00$
I am surprised to see children using this newsgroup.

Pat in Atlanta, 11/11/2005,7:51:34 AM, wrote:

Nothing works better than a small broom and dustpan.
--
"Golf and sex are the only things you can enjoy without being good at
them." -- Jimmy DeMaret

Actually for the newer clumping style litter that doesn't work as well. There's a fine dust from the litter doesn't sweep up that well. Those swiffer-type wet mops work great at picking it up. They're an overpriced racket for anything other than spot cleaning work. That and get a tupperware-style container to store them. The box they come in seems designed to do nothing more than dry them out quick once you've opened it.

Get one of those litter box mats. I stuck them in front of our boxes and it's really cut down on the amount of stray litter. And if you're not already doing so, consider a covered litter box. That and the smaller clumping style litter as it's much easier to keep clean.

I use the hose attachment on our Sebo vacuum. Most all rotating beater heads will scatter the litter. Also consider using those wet-wipe swiffer mops. Those work great for picking up stray bits of litter.
Pat in Atlanta wrote:

Frankly I don't know what works easier, or quieter than a broom.
You may want to try what I have. The area around the box has a commercial type entry rug. Yea, a real one, not a cheap WallyWorld version. It really works.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Pat in Atlanta wrote:

Any canister vacuum with a disposable bag will do a good job. Find the lightest one you can. Avoid bagless vacuums for this job, as the fine dust will go right through them.
Unfortunately, the hand-held vacs (such as dust-buster) don't have enough suction to work well, in my experience.
A broom, as suggested by others, works well on smooth floors. But for tile floors, or vinyl floors that have a texture, a broom is useless for cat litter.
T.
Pat in Atlanta wrote:

Dustbuster.
Put box on carpet patch.
Get a deeper box.
Pat in Atlanta wrote:

Another option comes to mind...
You might want to check into this: http://www.bonsaikitten.com
Pat-
I would suggest the very small Sop Vac 1X1
http://www.shopvac.com/web/products/list.asp?hdnSource=index&Browse=1hps
get one of the better filters for it, unfotunately doens't look like a HEPA filter is availabe for this little vac
I assume you want a small vac
cheers Bob
http://cgi.ebay.com/1X1-SERIES-WET-DRY-VAC-1-GALLON-1-HP_W0QQitemZ4407898866QQcategoryZ300QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I have one of the newer dustbusters that cleans up both wet and dry things and it works WONDERS. You'll probably want to clean out the filter every time you vacuum cat litter but it really does work.
--
citygirl

How long have you had yours? Is the battery still recharging dependably?
I know this doesn't entirely solve your problem, but I thought I'd pass it along. My mom had problems for years dealing with cats kicking litter out of the box, culminating in a new habit where one of the cats would enter the box and pee back out the doorway.
The solution she finally hit on was so simple, and it completely solved all of her problems. She bought one of those Rubbermaid 30gal rectangular plastic tubs, and filled the bottom few inches with kitty litter. The sides are easily low enough for the cats to jump over, but too high for them to pee or kick litter over. She doesn't even need a mat around it now.
-> I need a vacuum cleaner to pick up kitty litter that my cats paw out onto a -> hard surfaced floor that has to be vacuumed at least twice a day. Something -> lightweight and easy for an old lady to use. I now use a Bissell 3-Way -> Bagless that doesn't do much other than scatter the litter. Thank you for -> any comments.
Is there some reason a broom and dustpan wouldn't work.
--
8^\~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~