V-belt question

I wish to buy a replacement belt to have on hand for my evaporative cooler blower. The outside measurement of the current belt is 59.5" However, it is several years old and probably stretched. The manual doesn't give a replacement belt size.
I checked the length of an unused V-belt marked 52" The inside measurement is 51", the outside 53". So a V-belt marked measurement is an average?
So what marked-size belt should I get for my replacement? Maybe 59"? 58"? 57"? The belt tension has a limited amount of adjustment by moving the motor bracket. I don't know what sizes belts come in. I looked in Wal- Mart yesterday to get some idea but evidently they don't carry v-belts. I'll probably have to buy one in Lowes.
--
Untie the two knots to email me

"Madness is not a consequence of uncertainty, but of certainty." Nietzche
Belt-length is measured at the pitch-diameter of pulley; as you note, it's between that of inside and outside of belt.
Parts-store people handle this sort of thing routinely. Tell what you know. (You might have to ask mfg. for more info.) Depending on size of belt, they can measure existing one with purpose-made gauge, and give you a close fit. But you'd have to remove it.
HTH, John
Ken Knecht wrote:

is an

58"?
the
Wal-
v-belts.
Nietzche
Better off going to an auto store I think
Buy a couple and keep the best one that fits.
the width is measured by 1/8th's , so a 1/2" wide belt would be 4 eights. length is measured on the outside flat of the belt.put a mark on it and use tape measure to measure around the outside of it,that gives you the length. so a belt that is 1/2 inch wide and 59 inches long would be 4L590 part number. 4 for 4 eigths and 59 for length . if length measurement is 59-1/2 in get a 59 inch belt and it should fit. lucas