UV-Purified Hot Tubs

A couple of years ago, a local home improvement company had a booth at an outdoor festival here, and they were hollering about hot tubs which used UV instead of chemicals for purification. Due to skin sensitivity, I absolutely cannot use bromine or chlorine. Anyone here have FIRST HAND experience with a UV-based system? Any problems, suggestions, warnings?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Brother bought one a couple of months ago. You still add chemicals, about a capful each use. UV helps does not eliminate the chemical need. Greatly reduces the chemicals estimate 80-90%. That might be enough for you.

Reply to
SQLit

I can't answer your question but I spend a lot of time at a spa forum for hot tubs where you will get some real experts that might be able to answer your question.

the url for the site.

Good Luck Ivan

Reply to
ivan

It's not a complete replacement for chemistry by any means. It will greatly reduce the amounts needed, but it won't do the whole job by itself.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

Depending on your "local" water, it's a good possibility you could get by without using any chemicals at all. A lot depends on how much it is used, and how it is used.

Would just need to keep filters in top shape and probably change water more frequently.

Reply to
Lurker

Your "local" water's characteristics makes zero difference. No matter how sterile it might be when you put it in the tub, it still needs to be maintained properly. Filling your tub with water from a swamp would make a difference, requireing even more chemistry. Nothing that arrives as potable water can be maintained safely for more than a VERY short time in a closed system such as a hot tub, without the use of chemistry.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

i know a couple people with them. as others have said, it does seem to work but doesnt completely eliminate the need for chemicals. makes a heck of a difference though. the tub doesnt smell like the chlorox factory.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

the water. There is a potential to reduce chemical use, but never eliminate. A downside to ozone is that it can be hard on the underside of the cover, and any pillows or cushions in the tub. There are plenty of non chlorine based spa treatments that are very effective. We use Baqua Spa, which is not chlorine or bromine based. No ozone either. There are many other brands other than Baqua as well. So you do have some options. Dave

Reply to
DaveG

Maybe. I have ZERO skin problems with outdoor pools, unless the water's been WAY overdosed with chemicals.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

It could always be pumped to the garden irrigation system......

Reply to
Doug Kanter

difference,

Reply to
Lurker

Not for a second. Please try to explain yourself fully if you feel you have something worth saying.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor