UV light

Just signed a contract to have a Rheem furnace and air conditioner with Aprilair 600 humidifier and electronic air cleaner, the installer wants me to have a UV light installed in the duct work, I do have a lot of allergies, has anyone had the light installed, and does it help? Thanks.

Reply to
lindy

conditioner with

installer wants me

of allergies,

I just yesterday listened to a hvac guy say to my neighbor that the UV thing should be a last resort. He said to get the elect. air cleaner and a furnace with a low speed for constant circulation.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

This is Turtle.

I could be wrong here but a UV lite would in my thinking not effect the condition of a person with Allergies. The problem that people have with allergies is the pollion and plant seeding material that is flying in the air in certain times of the year. they partical of plant life will not be effected by the UV lite. The UV lite will only sterilize the germs or viruses in the air and will not do anything about the partical of plant life going through the ducts. The Electronic filter will be of a use here for Allergies but a UV lite will be waisting you time. The UV lite will sterilize all Germs or viruses that passes through it but do nothing to partical of dust, pollon, or plant life traveling through the lite, which is the problem with having Allergies in the first place. Get a good Electronic filter for allergies and a UV lite for catching colds and the flue.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

As I understand it a UV light can help with some allergy sources. Of course that will only help those who are sensitive to those specific sources. I would tend to think that the standard procedures you suggested may be the most bang for the buck.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

UV will kill mold which im alergic to as are many. Since you have allergys look into the April Air air filter that is electronic and media, Consumer reports rated it the best. The question is do you have mold in your house from moisture problems

Reply to
m Ransley

This is Turtle.

The UV only Sterilize it or makes it not to be able to grow anymore , but does nothing to stop it from just being in the air. Maybe by not letting it be able to grow anymore may help out in some way. The UV lite does the same thing as sunning a matress out in the sun to freshen it up and kill the germs like the old timers use to do.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

"lindy" wrote in news:c79bkg$1bqka$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-63193.news.uni-berlin.de:

UV will help combat molds,which are allergens to some folks.

Reply to
Jim Yanik