UV for killing bacteria in water

All the majors provide safe product. Just make sure the cap is intact, and properly installed.

If there is free chlorine in the water, the bacteria is nothing that can hurt you.

If the UV light has sufficient intensity for the water flow rate, and the water is not cloudy, and the organisms are not colony forming (clumps of algae, say), then UV will do a fine job of backing up the primarly sterilant applied to municipal water. It will not do anything for taste, or reduce fluoride.

David A. Smith

Reply to
dlzc

I have sold, installed and serviced many hundreds of UV lights, some under state DEP supervision.

UV does not kill, it prevents reproduction.

UV lights come in Class A and B versions. You want a Class A. Only A can be used for the control of cysts and crypto and IIRC none are rated for virus control.

Plastic will not last long in the strength, dose and specific narrow band UV light produced by any UV light used for potable water treatment; measuring that in hours to a few days would be my guess. It will burn your skin and eyes much faster and worse than the arc from any welder.

They all use crystal quartz for both the lamp sleeve and the lamp. It is the photochemically clear material.

UV is approved for bacteria remediation in all US States. It works very well IF it is applied correctly, there are numerous pretreatment requirements, and IF the light is maintained properly on a timely basis.

All UV lights must be properly sized for the peak demand gpm of water flow they are expected to treat.

And some of the statements and advice in this thread is WAY OFF and dangerous. I don't have time to wade through it all and comment on it.

Gary Slusser Quality Water Associates

Reply to
Gary Slusser

Nope. Zero. It's a myth you've got suckered into believing. No one has died from cancerous skin! Billions of people survive from damaged skin daily. Most of us have damaged skin and cancerous skin. And it doesn't spread fast either. By itself, skin cancer is so trivial that it's meaningless.

No it doesn't. Inner organs are deep within us. It would have to traverse inches of flesh, bone, cartilige, muscel etc to reach organs which is ridiculous. Furthermore, there's no way to prove it. It's a theory of some nut of which only dummies believe. Furthermore how can anyone know mere skin caused the liver to die when odds are that the liver cancer grew at the same rate as the skin? Think.

I asked my wife, a nurse for decades and she's seen all kinds of cancer patients and even she said nope, only "a few" (a tiny %) complications. But even this just "belief" run amock because again, who can know for sure what the source of the terminating cancer was, maybe the organ itself ? ?

I also laugh when people call skin and blood organs even though the "medical society" claim so. Pretty soon they'll call hair and finger nails an organ. Is an oyster or turtle shell an organ? LoL.

Vitamin D (as in sunlight) in moderation (WAY MORE THAN ZERO) is very good for you.

Reply to
Stevepppp

So all the anti-bottled water people including many doctors are all crazies? I think there's some truth in both sides of the argument, that bottled water is better than most tap water, but not as good as some. I never studied it much so can only reflect what I've read so far.

Floride, not chlorine. Bacteria is in the tap water therefore you can conclude there's not enough chlorine or too much bacteria to begin with or both, in which all three scenarios ain't too good.

True, but bacteria still exists. so evidently the internal use UV was absent or weak or not near enough to my residence or both. If a large city uses UV it's not enough because there's miles between the cities UV and your tap. This means the potential of bacteria exposure especially through old delapitated piping is high. All it takes is one bacteria source. So you need to take matters into your own hands at home when you find high counts of bacteria.

Reply to
Stevepppp

So UV will still work since bacteria longevity is hours to days right?

Thanks. Good to know this.

What strength are you talking here? It would have to be extremely strong. But even if weaker UV is potentially dangerous to skin and eye, like sunlight, don't look at it and don't expose yourself to it too long. Fasten it with the light off and shield it and go away. Nothing difficult to achieve.

"Applied correctly." I have a 1 gallon tank. I plan to tape it to the side of my drinking water tank near the top tilted slightly downward to capture as much water as possible and completely shield the light leaving enough air to cool. Any further suggestions.

Thanks for your input Gary.

Reply to
Stevepppp

Nope, it's hydrochloric, same as in all other mammals.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Yes to 99.9999. Bacteria tend to have a much shorter life span than that.

Class A = 40 mJ/cm2

That won't work, UV lights are built to allow the water to flow through them and the light is contained inside the chamber.

You're welcome.

Reply to
Gary Slusser

Super. Thanks!!!!!!!

Reply to
Stevepppp

I retested for high bacteria count in the bay area's drinking water very carefully this time (to the hour and perfect temperature) with a different test kit and results came out very negative .. which of course is good news for the bay area.

Reply to
Stevepppp