UV for killing bacteria in water

Page 3 of 3

Wow can you elaborate? TIA.

Where you find your UV light? TIA. 99% ? Shouldn't you expect something like 99.9999%? Provided the end water is "pure" the less chlorine the better definitely.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It came with the filter kit. I am sure you can find them at electrical supply house. It is a long cylindrical shape running on low voltage thru wall wart. I think the main component is RO cartridge. Now kettle stays clean. No scale build up. Our tap water is safe to drink(I trust my own bro, LOL) but it's hard water, flouride, chlorine added which I don't like. That 99% is conservative figure. Also as a side note we use rain water for our plants. We have barrels round the house collecting rain water.
On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 12:31:43 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It is true that UV will kill bacteria, but obviously depends on the strength and duration of the exposure. UV kills human skin cells too, and hopefully the skin repairs itself quickly without growing cancer cells.
The absolute cleanest water is distilled water that has been de-gassed. It doesn't taste too good and not practical for drinking, but it is as pure as it gets. Possibly drinking bottled water has higher risks than drinking tap water. A good compromise is using a canister pitcher with filter, such as a Britta. I think it makes better tasting tea/coffee.
Don't be too germ phobic. I heard a dog's mouth is much cleaner than a human's mouth and people don't even lick their own butt.
wrote Re Re: UV for killing bacteria in water:

True, however many employed people lick their boss's butts. That's really disgusting.

Bacteria is only part of the problem. There's poisons too. And the potential is high since there's miles of various pipes leading to your tap. Furthermore, the less harmful bacteria in us, the better. Problem is with bacteria, it is impossible to avoid completely. Worse is when you detox which harms our good bacteria. Some things we have to live with at the time being.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

For bacteria and flouride, go with an RO filter system. You can buy them at Costco for about $150.
UV light does kill bacteria but there's no need to use UV on municipal water. The big advantage of UV is that it kills viruses that are too small to be filtered out. They're useful if you're drinking water in foreign countries, or in some back-country applications (i.e. there was a warning by one river in Yellowstone about viruses in the water). Back country filters don't kill viruses, but you can get a UV Steripen for that purpose.
Wow! Thanks for all the input!! UV Steripen huh? I'll do a little googling on that. Thanks.
Dear Stevep...:
On Aug 8, 12:31pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

All the majors provide safe product. Just make sure the cap is intact, and properly installed.

If there is free chlorine in the water, the bacteria is nothing that can hurt you.

If the UV light has sufficient intensity for the water flow rate, and the water is not cloudy, and the organisms are not colony forming (clumps of algae, say), then UV will do a fine job of backing up the primarly sterilant applied to municipal water. It will not do anything for taste, or reduce fluoride.
David A. Smith

So all the anti-bottled water people including many doctors are all crazies? I think there's some truth in both sides of the argument, that bottled water is better than most tap water, but not as good as some. I never studied it much so can only reflect what I've read so far.

Floride, not chlorine. Bacteria is in the tap water therefore you can conclude there's not enough chlorine or too much bacteria to begin with or both, in which all three scenarios ain't too good.

True, but bacteria still exists. so evidently the internal use UV was absent or weak or not near enough to my residence or both. If a large city uses UV it's not enough because there's miles between the cities UV and your tap. This means the potential of bacteria exposure especially through old delapitated piping is high. All it takes is one bacteria source. So you need to take matters into your own hands at home when you find high counts of bacteria.