UV for killing bacteria in water

What's the cleanest (from the harmful crap like bacteria/lead/etc) bottled water anyone? Bay area tap water has high counts of bacteria & floride. And is it true a simple UV light will kill 99.9% of bacteria in water? TIA.

Reply to
Stevepppp

A good household water filter takes care of that. What idiots dont know about water leads them to buy bottled water, you can make better out of tap, which is what alot use to make bottled. You are first off panicking, second misinformed. 3rd over concerned x 10. I use a simple filter used by mc Donalds, the army, airlines, etc etc but I forgot its name because its not relavent in my life. Shacklee makes a great table unit, but you really need to learn and not panic. what people are getting sick from is Mexican fields , chillies, from field and sewage treatment plant flood runoffs. I was In mexico in Mechicuan Cotija, the sewage plant was in the valley with the crops, in the monsoon season it overflowed, do you need any more explanation. They got sick and did not know why. Instead Go buy a iphone and dont worry

Reply to
ransley

Steve,

There are effective UV water purifiers. These don't work on lead. I thought fluride was good thing. There are companies that will do fairly good water testing. Perhaps you should figure out if you have a problem before you look for a cure. Sorry, I have no opinion on bottled water.

Dave M

Reply to
David L. Martel

Right. You can put almost any (relatively clear) water in a clear plastic bottle, put the bottle in the sun for a few hours, and, presto, sterilized water.

Reply to
HeyBub
'cause he's a d*****ad. that's why i plonked him over 6 months ago. s

Reply to
Steve Barker DLT

Hmmm, I installed under the sink 6 stage filtering unit. Last stage is UV light tube. According to my sister and brother(both chemists, brother works for city water demartment) The filtered water is at least 99% pure. It produces enough water per day for drinking and cooking. Best thing is it does not have chlorine smell or funny taste. Even our dog and cats drink that water.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Filtering is good but to be effective it has to be maintained properly.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hmmm, Plastic bottle? I wouldn't. I'd with glass bottle.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

"What idiots don't know about water leads them to buy bottled water"

How come you always seem to come off so mean? Tony

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

It is true that UV will kill bacteria, but obviously depends on the strength and duration of the exposure. UV kills human skin cells too, and hopefully the skin repairs itself quickly without growing cancer cells.

The absolute cleanest water is distilled water that has been de-gassed. It doesn't taste too good and not practical for drinking, but it is as pure as it gets. Possibly drinking bottled water has higher risks than drinking tap water. A good compromise is using a canister pitcher with filter, such as a Britta. I think it makes better tasting tea/coffee.

Don't be too germ phobic. I heard a dog's mouth is much cleaner than a human's mouth and people don't even lick their own butt.

Reply to
Phisherman

I agree. But with 14,000,000 plastic bottles being produced each day, what are the chances?

Reply to
HeyBub

On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 08:09:41 -0400, Phisherman wrote Re Re: UV for killing bacteria in water:

True, however many employed people lick their boss's butts. That's really disgusting.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

I buy a UV light and stick it to my 1 gallon filter tank, how efficient will it be in killing bacteria?

I know.

Why? I have both a high floride level and bacteria counts.

I've tested my tap water. 90% of harmful stuff isn't present. Problem is 10% is present.

Reply to
Stevepppp

How effective? What % of bacteria will simple sunlight kill in a few hours? Thanks for the tip. I'll try that and retest it if you don't respond and hopefully post the results here.

Reply to
Stevepppp

Wow can you elaborate? TIA.

Where you find your UV light? TIA.

99% ? Shouldn't you expect something like 99.9999%? Provided the end water is "pure" the less chlorine the better definitely.
Reply to
Stevepppp

Bacteria is only part of the problem. There's poisons too. And the potential is high since there's miles of various pipes leading to your tap. Furthermore, the less harmful bacteria in us, the better. Problem is with bacteria, it is impossible to avoid completely. Worse is when you detox which harms our good bacteria. Some things we have to live with at the time being.

Reply to
Stevepppp

Hi, It came with the filter kit. I am sure you can find them at electrical supply house. It is a long cylindrical shape running on low voltage thru wall wart. I think the main component is RO cartridge. Now kettle stays clean. No scale build up. Our tap water is safe to drink(I trust my own bro, LOL) but it's hard water, flouride, chlorine added which I don't like. That 99% is conservative figure. Also as a side note we use rain water for our plants. We have barrels round the house collecting rain water.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Steve,

I buy a UV light and stick it to my 1 gallon filter tank, how efficient will it be in killing bacteria?

Consult with a pro since you already have your lab results. I can not tell you that some unknown light bulb will generate enough energy at the proper frequency to kill the bacteria nor do I know how long it would take to sterilize a gallon of water. You sound as if you want to do this yourself. I'd recommend heading to the library if there is a good one nearby or get help from the ag extension folks. Remember that the UV light may damage the filter tank if you are not careful and it will not be safe for humans.

I've tested my tap water. 90% of harmful stuff isn't present. Problem is 10% is present.

Take your lab results to a water conditioning company or two and see what they recommend to correct your water. If it's really expensive or you don't own the home use bottled water for drinking and cooking.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

There's bags of studies on this concept. Here's one:

"In-vitro studies carried out at the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland confirmed the bactericidal effect of solar radiation and showed that transparent plastic bottles allow passage of more ultraviolet light than do transparent glass bottles. Although glass transmits ultraviolet light more readily, the thinness of plastic bottles compensates for plastic's greater absorption of ultraviolet light. This finding suggested that non-returnable plastic bottles, which are widely available and even a source of pollution, may be used for the disinfection of drinking water."

The authors consider this experiment utilizing little brown babies in Kenya as a follow-up to an earlier study that relied on the heating effect of sunlight for disinfection.

Reply to
HeyBub

For bacteria and flouride, go with an RO filter system. You can buy them at Costco for about $150.

UV light does kill bacteria but there's no need to use UV on municipal water. The big advantage of UV is that it kills viruses that are too small to be filtered out. They're useful if you're drinking water in foreign countries, or in some back-country applications (i.e. there was a warning by one river in Yellowstone about viruses in the water). Back country filters don't kill viruses, but you can get a UV Steripen for that purpose.

Reply to
SMS