Utility repair crews turned back

Page 1 of 3
Because they weren't union.
"...crews from Alabama got the shock of their lives when other workers in a coastal New Jersey town told them they couldn’t lend a hand without a union card."
http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/02/new-jersey-town-to-ala-volunteer-utility-crew-dont-help-with-sandy-unless-youre-unionized/#ixzz2B3qPshgA
Add pictures here
✖

That doesn't surprise me. The follow up that this page reports, surprises me; http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/11/non-union_utility_crew_from_al.html "The crews from Huntsville and Decatur will instead go to Long Island, N.Y. to help the power get turned back on there. . ."
Jim
Add pictures here
✖
I thought their hero, the Big Obama told them to cut through the red tape, and all play nice and get along?

http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/02/new-jersey-town-to-ala-volunteer-utility-crew-dont-help-with-sandy-unless-youre-unionized/#ixzz2B3qPshgA
That doesn't surprise me. The follow up that this page reports, surprises me; http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/11/non-union_utility_crew_from_al.html "The crews from Huntsville and Decatur will instead go to Long Island, N.Y. to help the power get turned back on there. . ."
Jim
Add pictures here
✖

repubs often don't know how to play well
but on the up side, New Jerseyians will raise hell with the PUC
Add pictures here
✖
HeyBub wrote:

http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/02/new-jersey-town-to-ala-volunteer-utility-crew-dont-help-with-sandy-unless-youre-unionized/#ixzz2B3qPshgA
Several subsequent news reports say that the above was incorrect, that help is not being refused because of lack of union membership.
Add pictures here
✖

What same thing, the report or that the reports were incorrect?

So was it and did he?
Add pictures here
✖

Thanks.
Add pictures here
✖

The link I clicked on said otherwise. It said that the first report, that the power company turned them away, was inaccurate, but that their Union "non-brothers" told them they couldn't help.
--
Wes Groleau

The man who says, “I can do it!" may sometimes fail.
✖
HeyBub wrote:

--
"In a two-page Oct. 29 contract, the International Brotherhood of Electrical
Workers (IBEW) local 1049 demanded union dues, pay hikes and benefit

BFD. The IBEW wanted the southern guys paid union scale and wanted to pad their own pension and health funds as usual with the hourly cut. Who do you think is paying for this? You don't think these guys are unpaid "volunteers" do you? Or that the Florida/Ala utilities aren't getting paid? The Feds will pay for all this work. Taxpayers. The Florida/Ala utility companies will charge the NY/NJ utilities all costs- and then some for salaried bonuses. The NY/NJ utilities will then squeeze the Feds like an orange. The IBEW wants the juice going to all the workers and their own pension and health funds. And to union management salaries. Just good union business practice. No different than other business, except the money is spread more evenly. It didn't work, so the southern guys will be up north working in dangerous conditions at their southern pay scale. Hope they work the per diem well. Besides, it's nearly all bullshit anyway. http://mediamatters.org/blog/2012/11/02/utility-companies-deny-right-wing-media-claims/191101
All it takes is one right-wing cracker to start spreading bullshit. On this newsgroup, we have you to fill the role. You're still doing it with "Turned back" in your subject. Never happened. And even if it did at some small scale I wouldn't give a shit anyway, Just an example of human frailty, like yours.
Add pictures here
✖
On 11/4/2012 8:30 AM, Vic Smith wrote:

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2012/11/02/utility-companies-deny-right-wing-media-claims/191101
Vic, you are an obvious P.L.L.C.F. and Obama supporter. No matter what your ilk does wrong, you'll lie about it when you're caught. ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 04 Nov 2012 09:05:46 -0600, The Daring Dufas

My monthly "talking at crackers" quota is done all used up. This is all the words I had left for y'all. Sorry.
Add pictures here
✖
On 11/4/2012 9:24 AM, Vic Smith wrote:

Vic, you must be one O them racist too! ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
On 11/4/2012 8:30 AM, Vic Smith wrote: ...

Well, mostly no...
IBEW didn't really care about whether the other guys got paid union scale or not other than it undermines their scale--all they really wanted was their cut irrespective of whether it helped accomplish the needed work or not. Definitely not a "team player" attitude at a time of need.
And, FEMA does _NOT_ reimburse private, for-profit utilities for reconstruction--that's limited to nonprofit public and/or co-ops.
Also, it is certainly well within the normal operations that utilities _do_ provide gratis services to other utilities in such times w/o direct payback for salaries, etc., on the basis that they'll get return support when they need it.
Our local co-op in SW KS has sent crews as far as LA and MS and has in return had them here after some of our massive ice storms. Our rebuilding costs have been something approaching 80% of total capitalized value over some 7+ years it has taken to rebuild all of the damaged areas to original capabilities from a massive ice event in '03/'04 followed by the massive tornado outbreak in '05. Even as a nonprofit member-owned co-op, our FEMA repair aid was limited to 75% of actual costs so it has been a sizable out-of-pocket outlay for a relatively small utility (not to mention it took years to receive after the events). No utility gets well financially out of these events...
✖

I'm talking about Sandy facts only here. Not your local co-op. Business is business.
http://www.bizjournals.com/southflorida/news/2012/10/30/fpl-says-storm-assistance-is-a-two-way.html?page=all
"The company sent about 300 vehicles to seven different utilities from Virginia to New Jersey. Crews began leaving from throughout Florida on Monday. The utilities receiving aid are PEPCO, BG&E, PPL, AEP, First Energy, PECO and Dominion. FPL said those utilities pay the cost of such assistance."
Add pictures here
✖
On 11/4/2012 9:53 AM, Vic Smith wrote: ...

I didn't say the _couldn't_ have reciprocal agreements but if they do, that's fine, too. It's far from your previous rant, however, even where so.
And, the private utilities will not be eligible for FEMA reimbursement.
The electrical co-op is a business, too, albeit non-profit. Our line miles are tremendously high/load in comparison to populated areas out here so capital costs on a service basis are quite high even if total numbers aren't...
✖
On 11/4/2012 2:37 PM, dpb wrote:

Oh, and we've both given to and received from for-profit utilities line reconstruction aid both with and without actual cost billing--it all depends on the utilities involved and also on how much effort may be involved for any single incident/utility. In a very widespread disaster region at a far distance from home it makes more sense to get reimbursement than to expect compensating aid down the road...our cooperating agreements are mostly w/ the more local areas where it's highly there's going to be ice damage pretty frequently (like every couple or three years) rather than really extreme event such as this.
✖
On 11/4/2012 2:37 PM, dpb wrote:

And, I just checked...we have ~8X the service area of PEPCO (~5000 sq mi compared to 640).
✖
Vic Smith wrote:

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2012/11/02/utility-companies-deny-right-wing-media-claims/191101
Thanks for responding.
There are many flaws in your post, but I'll mention only one: I'm not spreading "bullshit," I'm only your humble reporter. You're free to inspect the links I provided and draw your own conclusions as to the verity of the reports, including a photocopy of the letter from the president of the local IBEW demanding tribute.
Add pictures here
✖
There needs to be sufficient investment to make transmission

Under the ground in NYC is an absolute cluster fuck of layers upon layers upon layers of utilities that date back more than 100 years, and much of it is not in good condition. For example, the water mains that feed the entire city are controlled by enormous valves that are more than 100 years old, long overdue for replacement, yet cannot be shut off because they're afraid they would crumble and fail catastrophically. Which, eventually, they will, even if they don't touch them.
I think there are plenty of documentaries out there that detail our crumbling infrastructure fairly well. Maybe we should give up being the world's thug and start a new WPA with the money.
Add pictures here
✖