Utility Knife

Page 2 of 4

Isn't it great. How do you break one of these. And that long blade can be very handy for cutting Styrofoam or insulation batts. I couldn't live without my Olfa. I buy the big case of blades and they do me a year.

LeGrande O'range sells a very similar (same?) knife under their HUSKY brand. I've had one for a couple of years now. It's bulkier than most and the blade in use has a bad habit of releasing itself when the cut encounters enough resistance. Like you, I'm searching for the ultimate utility knife.
--
"New Wave" Dave In Houston

I probably have a half dozen at various places in my shop. I probably actually own twice that many but don't know where they are. I am inclinded to go the simple route. My utility knife that can open for blade changes w/o a screwdrive doesn't really hold the blade too well. The one that holds best is the cheapes but doesn't retract. Has anyone trided the folding variety? I have one. The folding mechanisim is a bit stiff. If I could open it one handed like my Spyderco pocket knife it would certainly be a winner. here is one brand http://www.superknife.com/ mine is a husky from the orange store. The super knife may be even better.
No wrote:

Yep, I've had one for over a year. Best razor knife that I've ever had. Can't go back to a regular razor knife now.

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 16:40:41 +0100, No wrote:

I got mad the other day when I couldn't find my utility knife so I popped down to the local borg and bout several knives. My favorite is currently a sheffield folding knife, but I also got a husky folding knife with built in blade storage that seems nice. I also found a mini sheffield folding knife and some mini blades that is great as my everyday letter and box opener. I still have (somewhere) a stanley utility that I've used for years, but now I've got a knife everywhere. The office, the shop, my shop apron, the electronics toolbox etc. etc. Thank goodness the wife and kids have no interest in tools and leave my stuff alone or I'd have to buy even more knives.
D.G. Adams
dgadams wrote:

Try the utility knife from Lennox(gold series) http://www.lenoxsaw.com/utility.htm It is by far the best utility knife I have used. I rarely have a blade slip out of the tip. The only downside is that you have to use Lennox blades to be most effective

Got 5 free blades (plus a lot of spam) from Irvin and tried the first one today. Really good! Very sharp, bends but does not break and seems to retain an edge pretty well. Don't know what they cost in comparison to others, but I'll look for them the next time I need blades.
Keep a folder in my pocket at all times. Use mainly at work. With 3000 square feet of shop, if it wasn't in my pocket I would never find it.
Has anyone trided the folding variety? I

is
store.
Does it use standard blades?
RicodJour wrote:

Mike Berger wrote:

Oooh! You munged the URL, you URL-munger! ;)

Yep. I use hook blades frequently. I bought two of the Lawson's so I can have one loaded with each type of blade.
It's a funny thing about the weight of it. In general one would think that lighter would be better. Then you pick up a nice tool with some heft to it, and it just feels better in the hand.

I feel that way every time I take a whiz. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Oh come ON!.. SOMEbody had to say that!

And then you woke up.

Woke up at deli from a daydream holding knockwurst...

LMAO
The only one worth a damn IMO. Dangerous as hell because of the long blade but strong like ox and always sharp. I have used the same one for a couple decades now. I even have 6 stitches in my thumb from it . My only serious work related injury.
http://www.danielsmith.com/catalog/products/?T1 2010008
On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 10:14:54 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@the.raunch wrote:

I should add mine has a straight handle which is good because I'm left handed. This new curved handle model would suck as it puts the rubber side of the knife on the wrong side of your hand. I had to modify the slider blade holding thingy on mines so I could put my blades in backwards. It serves me well.
RicodJour wrote:

I found a similar one in a "multi pack" at Home Depot. I reload the used blade in reverse to utilize the other side.
Tom M.

I've been using one like in this link for a couple years, nice in the back pocket( no blade storage ). It's been abused and loosened and then tightened up. I think newer versions "might" be better, but haven't needed a newer one. I'm really not allowed around "sharp" items.......
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/jsearch/product.jsp?pn5257
I once saw a blurb from OSHA stating that the most dangerous hand tool was indeed the lowly utility knife. I also recall that the most dangerous industrial tool is the forklift. This didn't surprise me. In the factory I used to work in we had a guy killed by a forklift that hit him as he was crossing through a walkway area.
Richard Johnson PE Camano Island, WA
P.S. I happen to like the Stanley I have. It has a scissor-like handle that unlocks with a button to allow blade changes. It stores five blades inside and holds the active blade quite securly. Blade changes take about 5 seconds. And like Rico's new toy, one of the best features is it's bright yellow color. Makes it easy to find even in bad light. I have a bunch of others, but I always seem to go back to this one.
Rich-out-West wrote:

Toy?! Okay buddy, that's it - utility knives at two paces!
The Stanley knife you have is my old favorite, the one I misplaced (I don't lose things ;), 'cepting mine was grey. It's a good knife. The Lawson is better.
I'm always amazed that Stanley still sells knives that you need a tool to open. Remember when you needed a screwdriver to open the computer up? Dinosaur era technology.