Utility Knife

Okay, a utility knife isn't the sexiest tool in the toolbox, but it's damn...errr....utile! I must have gone through 30 of the suckers over the years. Almost all of them were Stanley, some better than others. Most knives hold five extra blades and there are several ways to change blades. Some knives have to be opened with a screwdriver to change the blade. Others have a button you push to release the blade and a swingout holder for the spare blades, and the new blade is inserted in the front of the knife. Stanley must have had ten different versions of utility knives in all.

I had one I liked and it went walkabout, so I was using my less-than-favorite backup while I looked for a replacement. Then I ran across this Lawson autoloading knife on eBay

What a great knife! The blade is removed by depressing a button on the front of the knife in the usual way when it is in the fully extended position. Then you pull back the blade retract button and a new blade is automatically loaded and ready to go. It takes less than two seconds to change a blade. I must have changed _thousands_ of blades over the years and wish I'd found this years ago.

It's a little larger and heavier than most utility knives, which is fine with me as it fits the hand better. It's also a bright yellow making it easier to locate when it's misplaced or dropped off of a roof into the ivy.

Anyway, just wanted to share that with anyone who might be interested.

RicodJour

"JUST" a utility knife? I'm always lobbing the ends of silicon tubes and cutting stuff. I have tried dozens of 'new' ideas...and they always sucked. Back to ol' Stanley. Utility knives are a staple in my repertoire.

Thanks for the URL.

Reply to
Robatoy

You're welcome. I'm a bit of a tool w**re, or aficionado, depending on your take on it, and I'm usually not too happy with Stanley's performance as the 900 pound gorilla of the industry. It's well known that back in the day Stanley would buy competitors and kill the newly acquired tool line off - even if the tools were superior. It was all about profitability. Can anyone say Microsoft?

Stanley's utility knives are all pretty weak. Some are such dated, uncomfortable designs that the only reason they're still made is because the production line is already set up.

RicodJour

I teach Technical Theatre and Set Construction. I always tell my students that the Stanley Knife is the most dangerous tool in the shop. The danger of the tool is inversely porportonial to the amount of noise it makes. I have seen a few horrific injuries with a table saw or a radial arm, but I have seen more injuries with a stanley knife than any other tool.

Reply to
DarthClown

Interesting theory. I've always heard you have to watch out for the quiet ones, but I assumed they were talking about people!

My utility knife did a nifty self-filet on my left thumb around 3 AM one morning as I was trying to finish some work that was going to be photographed the next day. I just squeezed the cut shut, taped it up and kept working. It healed just fine...although there is a little less sensitivity in one area, so I know I got a nerve. Or the time the hook blade slipped while cutting carpet, went through my shoe and got my toe. Or the time... You get the idea.

RicodJour

Count me among the injuries. Once, in my late teens I was cutting open boxes and accidently cut open my hand and wrist... about 15 stitches. Hit a vein just right and blood exploded out of my arm. Almost completely severed a tendon. I was actually pretty lucky. That wrist is still a little more fragile than the other. Yeah, those things will hurt you ;-)

Joe Barta

Reply to
Joe Barta

Yeah...we get the idea: you're a klutz! :~)

Reply to
Matt Barrow

I have switched after trying all the single blade knives to the "break off the end to renew the tip style utility knife". It has a slide button for positioning the blade that also locks the blade in place when you quit pushing or pulling. Best utility knife I have ever owned. Blades are cheap considering that you renew each blade 8 to 10 times and changing blades is a

10 second job.
Reply to
Leon

Hyde makes a knife good for cutting boxes. The blade self retracts and you have to hold your thumb on it to keep the blade out. It extends enough to go through the corrugated, but not enough for the major injury of a regular knife. Our Workman's Comp insurance company was giving them out to promote safety.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

LeGrande O'range sells a very similar (same?) knife under their HUSKY brand. I've had one for a couple of years now. It's bulkier than most and the blade in use has a bad habit of releasing itself when the cut encounters enough resistance. Like you, I'm searching for the ultimate utility knife.

Reply to
New Wave Dave

I use the same type. Mine is an Olfa with the rubber back for a bit more grip.

If you're really cheap (or have run out of blades) you can re-hone the blades a couple times.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

I'm with you. I have three Stanley 99Es and have no interest in changing to the 'new & improved' knives with the rubber handles and swiveling heads.

I also have an old Hyde knife I like but have been unable to find replacement blades because it requires the kind with a hole in the middle.

Reply to
RayV

I probably have a half dozen at various places in my shop. I probably actually own twice that many but don't know where they are. I am inclinded to go the simple route. My utility knife that can open for blade changes w/o a screwdrive doesn't really hold the blade too well. The one that holds best is the cheapes but doesn't retract. Has anyone trided the folding variety? I have one. The folding mechanisim is a bit stiff. If I could open it one handed like my Spyderco pocket knife it would certainly be a winner. here is one brand

mine is a husky from the orange store. The super knife may be even better.

Reply to
No

The most dangerous tool in the box is a "Bloody Mary." That is a utility knife that uses a double edge carpet blade. The blade stays out because it is meant to. You can set it to stay out at an adjustable distance so that you can cut carpet to a specific depth. I have seen more injuries with those, and they are always very bloody.

Just MHO from hours and hours and hours of laying carpet for conventions.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Reply to
Mike Berger

Oooh! You munged the URL, you URL-munger! ;)

Yep. I use hook blades frequently. I bought two of the Lawson's so I can have one loaded with each type of blade.

It's a funny thing about the weight of it. In general one would think that lighter would be better. Then you pick up a nice tool with some heft to it, and it just feels better in the hand.

RicodJour

I feel that way every time I take a whiz. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Oh come ON!.. SOMEbody had to say that!

Reply to
Robatoy

And then you woke up.

Oren

The only one worth a damn IMO. Dangerous as hell because of the long blade but strong like ox and always sharp. I have used the same one for a couple decades now. I even have 6 stitches in my thumb from it . My only serious work related injury.

jimmy

Isn't it great. How do you break one of these. And that long blade can be very handy for cutting Styrofoam or insulation batts. I couldn't live without my Olfa. I buy the big case of blades and they do me a year.

Reply to
jimmy