Using tiles as baseboards?

We have leftover ceramic tiles, after tiling the bathroom floor, so we're thinking of having them cut into smaller pieces to use as baseboards (rather than buying bullnose tiles). Does anyone who has done this have any advice?

Thanks, Greg

Reply to
gplantam

The exposed edge can look funky. Look into the PVC edge strips which are meant to cover the cut edge of tile. They come in colors and are available at home centers.

RicodJour

Cut the tiles so that the factory finished edge is on top and the cut edge on the bottom. Sometimes one or two edges have the glaze wrapped around the factory edge of the tile, sometimes only one edge, cut the tiles so that this is the top edge. Run a layer of grout to cover the slight gap left by the glue or thinset and taper it across the edge of the tile to the rounded factory edge and to cover any areas that the glaze is missing or spotty, usually at the back of the factory edge which would be against the wall. Keep all the joints in alignment with the floor joints or it will look amateurish.

Done it several time and it always looks good especially when there is no bullnose or baseboard tile option.

Reply to
EXT