Using the same linoluem throughout the house

Using the same linoluem (Vinyl) throughout the house.

When I got this house, someone had put the same linoleum in the kitchen, dining room, hallway, bathroom, and laundry room.

While the pattern and color was not too bad, I just dont care to to see the same flooring in the bathroom that is in the kitchen, and so on....

I am in the process of redoing the floor by the toilet which needs some new wood, so that gives me the excuse to change the flooring in there. While I'm at it, I may also change the hallway just because it's a small area and wont cost much. It will be different from the kitchen/dining room and not the same as the bathroom.

The kitchen and dining room are sort of the same room, there is just a small divider wall on one end, so those rooms should have the same flooring. But in my opinion, different rooms should have different flooring. Yea, this is just a matter of personal preference and opinion, not any code or requirement.

My reason for posting this is just to see what other people do in their homes. Are you the type who makes each room unique, or the type who just covers every room with the same material? Which method is the most common or popular these days?

If I had money to burn, I'd probably change the laundry room too, but it's only a laundry room, so as long as the flooring is in good shape, I'll leave it. Just changing the bathroom is a huge improvement, and I think I'll change that hallway too.

Reply to
Paintedcow

Yep, exactly how I feel about it!

I prefer linoleum in all rooms except bedrooms, where I will have carpetting. But thats because I live on a farm, and there is no way to prevent dirt and mud from getting dragged into the house. Linoleum is easy to clean, carpetting is a royal pain in the ass to clean, and I hate house cleaning. Not to mention that I dont want to feel like my house is a place I cant enter because my boots are muddy or covered with snow, etc. If they are REAL bad, I will take off my boots by the door, where I have a rubber backed rug, which I can easily hose off outdoors, but the rest of the time, I want to walk into the house and not worry about tracking a little dirt.

I think a lot of this goes back to when I was a kid, and had to take off boots or shoes everytime I came in the house, or I'd get hollared at, and the couch was coveed with plastic, and I still had to change my pants if they were even slightly dirty, before I could sit on the couch, (or get hollarerd at), and so on. The way I see it, houses are made to be used, not be so sanitized that you cant live in them....

I'm considering putting ceramic tile in the bathroom, but I once rented a house that had it, and found it slippery and even dangerous. I know an elderly woman who almost died from slipping on a ceramic bathroom floor and hitting her head on the tub.

I have to see if they make a no-slip ceramic that has a rough surface. I have not shopped around for it yet. Otherwise lino or even vinyl tiles will work. No matter what I use, it wont be costly because the bathroom is small.

Just curious, are there any other options for bathroom floors?

Reply to
Paintedcow

IMO, the same in every room is boring, cheap, and not at all imaginative. My bathrooms have ceramic tile, kitchen is linoleum, family room and sewing room are engineered hardwood. living room, dining room, hallway are the same carpet, bedrooms are carpet.

I'd never put linoleum in any place but kitchen, bath, laundry. Tacky in other rooms.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

We have a two by two inch ceramic, your could even go to a one by one, more grout lines helps to reduce the slippery factor. There are some tile products that do have a rougher surface,but from what I have seen they tend to be larger tiles, which will either look silly in a small bathroom, or be a royal pain to install.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

There are matte finishes that won't be slippery. We've never had a problem. In our old house, the kitchen had a glaze that was smooth and slippery when wt. It was really nice looking, but there was some danger when wet.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

We have 12 x 12. We also used epoxy grout that never has to be sealed and stays clean with just a wet mop.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I have two friends who have "shoes off" houses. Really don't enjoy visiting them. Not my way of living.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I take my shoes off as soon as I get in the house, but for comfort, not because of dirt. I take my shoes off at work sometimes too, just for the comfort factor.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

having all flooring match are often used by home flippers, it makes the space look larger

Reply to
bob haller

Most of my house has wood floors with rugs in strategic places. The bathrooms and kitchen have ceramic tile. The den which is at garage level had carpeting but that got stained quickly so I replaced it with cork flooring which just glued down to the concrete.

I don't think wood flooring ever goes out of style. It's easy to clean with a vacuum and if necessary a Swiffer jet mop.

Reply to
badgolferman