Using the Circuit Breaker as an On-Off Switch

Page 3 of 3
Robert E. Lewis wrote:

If the circuit breaker is rated "SWD" (switch duty), it is designed to be used as a switch as well as a breaker. If it is rated "FLD" (fluorescent duty?) it is further rated to be used as a switch for lighting circuits with an inductive load.
An SWD breaker would be just fine for switching a water heater. I just looked at my breaker panel and the 30A 2-pole breaker for the clothes dryer is SWD listed. The 60A 2-pole breaker is not SWD listed, it is HACR listed, which I haven't looked up to see what it means (probably has something to do with heating and air conditioning circuits)
Notice how I avoided the part about whether switching the water heater was a good idea.
Best regards, Bob
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 20:26:30 GMT, "Robert E. Lewis"

You can save a LOT of money by turning it off...and only turning it on an hour or so before you actually need it. Most families don't need hot water during the day. When I was single, I would turn the tank on in the morning...then have coffee and breakfast while the water got hot. I'd turn it off when I left for work.

Many, many retail and commercial businesses shut off breakers at the end of the day.
Do some investigative work on your own...at some of the breaker company web sites...and check out their specs. Most breakers are rated for thousands upon thousands of cycles.
Have a nice one...
Trent
βœ–
If you really don't use a lot of hot water the biggest saving is by taking the wire off the bottom element. The heater will heat the top foot of water and quit. My mom's house ran like this for 30 years and it was only when she had the grandkids over that the hot water got skimpy.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Randy-
Chill out, you're wrong, you made a mistake.
Remember the first rule of holes.......stop digging.
basic physics says you're wrong.
I'll do the complete analysis but not for free.
Hopefully you're not a licensed engineer, otherwise I'll have to notify the PE board.
If turning the water heater off uses more energy why do utilities give rebates for setback thermostats????
admit your mistake, its good for the psyche :)
you'll be happier & live longer
Add pictures here
βœ–

i have yet to see any proof i am wrong. i will willingly admit it if proven wrong.
as for the rebates, one could argue that they make more with the timers so they kick you back a little and call it a rebate... hehe
randy
Add pictures here
βœ–
The "Mpemba" effect, as I recall. Visit: http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/General/hot_water.html to get the real story. Whole bunch of inflated egos hangin round these parts...Randy, that be you.

proven
Add pictures here
βœ–
while you may have found some info proving me wrong (which nobody else had done previously, and clearly the savings for turning it off arent that much) i think its ironic you blame me for having the ego...
and yes, it appears i was wrong. so there. now your ego is placated. do you feel better, smarter, faster?
randy

Add pictures here
βœ–
ya know i did this to shut you up, now i regret it. your link doesnt say anything. it has no bearing on anything.
go away.
randy

Add pictures here
βœ–

surely you're joking? my electric & gas utilties give rebates for devices that they do not sell.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Bob K 207 wrote:

To shift some of the energy demand out of "peak" hours and manage their load?
Best regards, Bob
Add pictures here
βœ–

heater set backs typically reduce total energy consumption & do little for load shifting
Peak electrical (summer) afternoon Peak electrical (winter) early evening
Max peak is typically in summer not winter
Add pictures here
βœ–
Robert E. Lewis wrote:

However you look at it, the savings on a day by day basis would be near nothing. Too small to be concerned with. If your friend is like me, he'll forget to turn it on, and end up with a cold shower.
When I lived in an apartment I would turn the breaker off when I would leave town for a few days. Once the water heater cooled to outdoor temperature, it couldn't consume any more when heating back up than if I left it on, right? So there was cost savings.
Now that I have my own house, I have my water heater on a timer. I'm on the electric company's "time of use plan" so I have the water heater set to turn off half an hour before the peak time, and turn on half an hour after peak time.
Let's pretend the water heater must turn on for 5 minutes total during the 7 hour peak time. That would be 5 minutes of energy costs at the peak rate. But if the water heater is off, it cannot use this energy.
Once the timer clicked on, it would run for the same (or close) 5 minutes, but at the cheaper rate.
Now consider this, after the timer is off, there is still more than enough hot water in the tank to take a shower or do a load of laundry. (For me, that is.) So in essence, the hot shower consumes NO electricity during peak times. Once the time kicks on again during the off peak times, THEN is when the shower costs money. So I am "delaying" the costs. :-) --Mike
Add pictures here
βœ–
Mike Fritz wrote:

I hate it when that happens.