Using Telephone wire for Electric Range

Page 1 of 2
I have to connect an electric range. The electrician told me I need 6 gauge cable with 4 wires, and needs to be connected to a 60 amp fuse or breaker. I already have a spare 60 amp fuse thingie that says RANGE on it, right next to the one that says MAIN. I cant afford to hire the electrician, and that 6 gauge wire is very expensive. Until I can afford to buy that wire, after my tax return in April, can I just use some old telephone wire that I have. It has 4 wires in it and should reach to the range, if I duct tape the two pieces together? The telephone wire is gray and has 4 wires inside red, green, yellow, and black. What color wire goes to what in the range and the fuse box?
Tommy
On 11/18/2013 03:52 PM, snipped-for-privacy@yahoooo.com wrote:

green is tip, red is ring black and yellow are used for the dial light
It might be easier to get a cordless phone.

Sure, but bill's answer was perfect.

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
On 11/18/2013 7:31 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Could be, my gas range is cordless.

You better check again. I'm sure there's a cord for lights of some sort. ;-)
Any one here using Outlook Express? Can you tell me how to plonk people like the OP on this topic. So I won't see them again. WW
On 11/19/2013 3:21 PM, WW wrote:

I used to. Try click message. Slide down, click "block sender".
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/18/2013 07:31 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yes, but tip and ring must not be reversed on a 2-phase phone system or the bell won't ring when the roast is done.
On Monday, November 18, 2013 5:06:40 PM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

...for wiring a Princess phone!
On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 08:22:56 -0800 (PST), Bob_Villa

No, it was the perfect answer for HomoGay.
On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 16:19:39 -0500, Bill

Story time: I've known the sentence above since I was 10 years old, wrt telephones. Until this year, I thought it meant that the ring signal came in on the red (useful for party lines, in their later implementation iiuc when only one phone on the line would ring depending on who was being called. Maybe for the second party the ring was the yellow or black) and the green tipped the balance in some way.
I'm 66 and after 47 years, I finally learned this year that the tip is the tip of the phone plug and the ring is the ring shaped part of the plug behind the tip. For this alone, it was worth living this long.

Or a cordless cook range.
On 11/19/2013 7:09 AM, micky wrote:

Amazing, how the same terms mean different things. One ringy dingy!
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 6:09:03 AM UTC-6, micky wrote:

Can I assume you mean the plug the operators used to make a connection?

Thanks.
Lily Tomlin was one of my favorite comedians during the Laugh-in and early SNL eras.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=OufQ4vacywo

C Merrily we troll along G C Troll along, troll along C Merrily we troll along, G C O'er the World Wide Web.
On 11/18/2013 4:34 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

red = red green = ground yellow = neutral.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/18/2013 03:43 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[snip]

And put some white tape around the yellow wire, at each end.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoooo.com wrote:

This is not funny. Plonk!!!
As part of the new national spy on everyone program your name and all personal info has been shared with your insurance company, who will cancel all your insurance. plus your neighbors and friends since you are obviously a neighborhood hazard.
the building inspector, fire marshall, will be visiting. meanwhile if you have any children they will become wards of the state, and you and everyone in your home will be sterilized, so you cant reproduce..
dont laugh this day is fast approaching