Using Stab-Oil Gas Stabilizer Correctly In Mower Over The Winter ?

Hello:
I have a few outdoor tools like a lawnmower, weed-wacker, etc. that I will be putting away for the winter before long. Usually, I try to run out all the gas, and go thru the agony of trying to get them going again in the Spring. I am a believer in running-out all the gas; not storing it in the tool, even with a stabilizer agent, until next year.
Obviously, there is a very small amount of residual gas left, probably, in the carb. or elsewhere.
Was wondering if after I do the running-out the gas bit, I should put in a teaspoon or so of the Stab-Oil (I think that's the correct name ?) in the gas filler, and pull it the starter a few times to distribute it.
I guess my main worry is: is this product too caustic or concentrated to do this safely without damaging the gaskets, etc.?
Or, must it really me mixed with the gas in the proportion they suggest ?
Thanks, Bob
THe product is Sta-Bil and it only requires about an ounce per 2.5 gallons. Just follow the directions on the easy-to-use, bottle with the measureing spout. A teaspoon in a tankful is probably way too much. After filling with the stabilized fuel, run the engine for a couple of minutes to completly circulate the stuff. Good to go!

Don't empty the tank... Add the Stab-Oil and then fill the tank to the top. If the tank is full there won't be room for condensation to form and make starting a pain.
(with possible editing):

Ditto. I've been doing exactly that for over 30 years and never had trouble starting in the Spring.
--
Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com

Sta-bil must be mixed with fresh gas. Once gas is stale, sta-bil won't revive it. Your practice of running the tool dry is also the wrong thing to do, as seals will dry out, and metal parts will be more likely to corrode. The system works - stop fighting it!
rusty redcloud
Whether to store full w/ Stabil or bone dry is an age old question, however my understanding is that manufacturers are now leaning towards recomending storing with full tanks/Stabil. The benefit is that rubber/etc seals will not dry out and crack with gas in it.
I tend to put stabil in every tank I use from mid-summer on.. so whenever I stop running the mower it will have stabilized gas in it.. then just need to top off and store.
Depends how you like to store stuff. When going in for long term storage I usually run it to the end (with the choke) unit it cuts out with stabil. I then drain the carb of any trace amounts of gas. I pull the plug, clean it and spray a motor fog into the cylinder. Pull it over a few times, put the plug back in. Spray any exposed metals with a nice protective lubricant. Open the gas tank and let it evaporate the little gas left. If its an older tank and made of steel I spray the same protectant in the inside of the tank and put the cap on. If its a 4 cycle motor its a good time to drain and replace the oil too. Old oil tends to be acidic and can cause issues with the seals later on.
That would be about it.
I never had a problem with any of my power equipment related to fuel. I've got 2 4cycle snow blowers, 2 2 cycle snowblowers, 2 mowers (4 and 2 cycle), 1 4 cycle edger, 1 echo weedwacker, 1 honda generator, 2 spare honda 4 cycle motors, 1 honda powerwasher, 1 billy goat vacume. I know I know, it sounds like a small engine repair shop, but I have allot to take care of
Robert11 wrote:

I never use any stabilizer in my normal gas. Never had a problem of gas going bad in 30+ years. Gas/Oil mix does go bad, though, and will put a varnish like coating in your carb and can gum it up after it sits awhile. The stabilizer stuff prevents this from happening so it is definitely recommended to put the stabiler in your gas oil mix. However, I don't even do that and my weedeater and leafblower start right up in the spring with no problem. I did have a 2 cycle outboard motor that was gummed up every spring though. The stabilizer stuff would have helped there.