Using space under the Deck

We have a walk in basement and our deck is raised high (9 feet or so). Below the deck is "walled" in with that lattice type thingy. I want to use the space below the deck for potting bench, gardening stuff etc.. . The main problem is water coming down the space between the Deck boards. What is best way to create a "roof" and still allow the water to run off. Can a simple tarp do the job? Please advise!
baagban wrote:

yes lay a tarp on top of the deck and the water will not be able to run down onto the deck and then drip onto you playing under the deck....