Using snow blower in summer (2023 Update)

I've had quite a few machines that would not start due to lack of compression after having been badlt flooded. A shot of oil down the intake or into the plug hole solves the problem, with lots of smoke on startup. I've also had guys rebuild an engine without adequately oiling the cyls/rings and have one DEVIL of a time getting them started (I was an auto mechanics instructor at both secondary school and trade levels)

Reply to
clare

I wonder if the machines have been sitting for the 3.5 years since this nestork asked his question.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

He was taken to the hospital two years ago after trying to blow the snow on his neighborhood sidewalks last July. The medication is helping.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

replying to nestork, aidan wrote: has any one removed the augur and added a wheel. so the snow blower could be used to haul a small trailer filler with wood/ dirt ect. in the summer

Reply to
aidan

replying to nestork, Festus wrote: I want to make a go cart out of my old snowblower will it run in the summer **

Reply to
Festus

You have to first tell us if it runs during the winter.

Reply to
catalpa

Running it monthly with keep fuel moving through the carburetor system and won't allow it to evaporate and form varnish.

Reply to
RichE

For me, it has more to do with moving new fuel through the system periodically. Fuel left motionless in a small space like a carburetor allows it to evaporate and form a varnish scum, clogging minute jets and ports.

Reply to
RichE

I just shut off the fueland run it untill the carb is dry - then don't worry about it 'till next winter. Of course a lot of cheap crap doesn't have a shut-off valve - I would have one installed next time it is serviced if I was not capable of doing it myself.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

No I don’t run it in the summer. Need to know if I have to put anything in it, while it sits in the summer

Reply to
Reanna

You should put fuel stabilizer in it and make sure it's full if you're going to leave it with gas over summer. I would put a little fuel stabilizer in the last gas and then run it dry. If you want to leave it with fuel, you can buy alcohol free gas at HD and similar, put that in as the last fill up and run it to get it into the carb.

Reply to
trader_4

I put stabilizer in all my gas cans when I fill them up. There never a chance of putting "bad gas" in any of my equipment.

If I ever feel like the gas in a can has sat around for too long, or maybe been in the generator for longer than I like, I put it in my vehicles. A couple of gallons of stabilized gas that been around for a few months added to a 20 gallon tank isn't going to make a bit of difference.

I also run my lawnmower a couple of times during the winter, my snow blower a couple of times in the summer and my generator at least 3 times a year. I've never run them dry and I've never had a problem.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Over the past 40+ years, I've done absolutely none of those things and I've never had a problem. Taking my lawn mower, for example, I fill it up before I use it and I put it away with whatever fuel is still in it. When winter approaches, I simply stop mowing but I don't touch the mower again, or even give it a second thought, until spring. When spring arrives, I take it out, top off the tank, and mow.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

I can do that with the basic Craftsman lawnmower, but not with the weedwhacker, snow blower, chainsaw, etc. What the difference is, why they can't all have carbs like the Craftsman, IDK. The snowblower is the worst and it's a Craftsman with a Tecumseh engine, lawnmower is B&S.

Reply to
trader_4

I was told by a small engine macanic that for small engine snowblowers.

  1. Have no air filter, due to in winter months do not need it vs summer you do.
  2. Are air cooled engines and Rely on that cold air coming into the engine to operate and also cool the engines. It should not want to run right in the hot summer months vs cold winter. So the engine will operate not correctly. Now if u quickly turn it on, it should run fine whill its cold still. Then warm up and run like crap.
Reply to
jeff

Not run like crap.just a LITTLE low on power due to the pre-heated air.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I have to drive my snow blower 1mile in the summer will that hurt it

Reply to
woodman