using polyfilla around a rawlplug

Page 2 of 3

snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com wrote:

It wasn't always so. Back in about '86 you could do 125mph on the stretch between the M3 and the M4. And I have a ticket and 6-week disqualification to prove it :-(

Keeping one's pecker up would be embarrassing if it's publicly visible, I guess, but in private, it would likely be a source of pride to the pecker's owner. <g>
--
Regards,
While working in the US, I applied for a driving license and took the test. The written (computerised multiple choice) was easy but the practical nearly got off to a bad start when the tester asked me to pull onto the pavement. I quickly realised that he meant the paved highway aka road and not the sidewalk aka pavement!
Guy Dawson wrote:

could be even more capable of being misconstrued.
--
Malc

Justin unbuttoned Clothilde\'s tight blouse and her breasts fell out. He

I had a colleague who caused much hilarity by asking for a rubber when he wanted an erasor.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Ameristan
--
geoff

I am reminded of a true story regarding Madame & Charles De Gaulle (Premier of France, which with due deference to American readers is somewhat South of England) at a very formal diplomatic dinner. Madame was asked 'What gave her the most satisfaction?' After some thought, and with complete attention of everyone at the table. She said 'a penis' The table was stunned for a second, or two. Chas De Gaulle leant over and said 'Happiness ...happiness'
Colin

says...

"knocked-up in the morning". Say wha...
--
Keith

even "Orange Limonade"
or in Indonesian where a piece of meat is often referred to as "Bistek" (I'm sure you can work that out if you try)
--
geoff

Even Cola Limonade, if memory serves.
Greg Guarino
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Unless you're in Boston (bah-stun), in which case the generic word is tonic (tah-nik). Don't ask me why. At least that's how it was 30 years ago when I lived there.
Jerry

And when I was in Boston this summer, every time I asked for Scotch and Tonic they gave me Scotch and Soda (which I dislike intensely).
--
Keith Willcocks
(If you can\'t laugh at life, it ain\'t worth living!)
Keith Willcocks wrote:

When I returnee from Johannesburg with a Girlfriend in tow..she went into the pub and asked for a Gin and Tonic "And can you put a little arse in that?"
Strange looks all round.

Yiss. Nahdays all the pubs are full of people from Jo'burg - usuallee working behand the bah and asking which kahnd of stahch yoo want with your lunch. Is it.
Doug Miller wrote:

If you've got crumbly walls, a tub of car body filler from Halfords would be a good investment. Sets in 5 minutes so you can get on with the job.

Actually cinder blocks and concrete blocks were and still are made from two different materials. Cinder blocks used "clinkers" from coal fired locomotives and industrial steam boilers, mixed with portland cement and sand to form a lightweight version of concrete. Lightweight blocks are still manufacturered for internal firewalls and such, using steel mill slag and other lightweight agegates. They were never intended for outdoor use or inground use. Concrete blocks used the standard sand, gravel and portland cement for high strength and weather resistance.

Used to be called Rawlplug in North America when they were made of a fiberous material. My experience has shown that plastic plugs don't hold much at all, they are just too slippery to form a solid anchor. If you have solid timbers in the wall use longer screws. If you have masonry building units in the wall get some Tapcon screws or the equivelent in a length that will solidly hold in the masonry.

Pollyfilla, still made in North America, they make floor leveling, wall patching, spackles and other plaster type supplies. My local big box store stocks them.

Doug Miller wrote:

--
change nospam to f2s in e-mail

Similar to cinder block. A soft grey building block, about 12" x 8", mainly used for interior walls. We also have a similar product called "Thermalite" blocks.
Generally, they are all known as breeze blocks.
I've seen similar blocks in the USA (I'm sad enough to visit DIY stores like "Home Depot" on holiday!!!

A plastic plug you use to fix to a masonry wall. You drill an oversize hole, fit a rawlplug, then screw into the rawlplug which expands to grip the hole. Rawlplug is a trade name for the (at one time) most famous brand. These days there are many makes. You need special types for use in breeze blocks.
>What is polyfilla?
Another trade name for a general purpose, plaster based, filler. I think you call it "spackle" ?
--
73
Brian, G8OSN
"Doug Miller" wrote:

Breeze block is concrete building blocks, an alternative to clay bricks (
http://static.flickr.com/11/12792451_e0e15b63fb_m.jpg ). A Rawlplug is a plastic plug for insertion into a hole drilled in masonry to take screws that form their own thread in the plastic (
http://www.tooled-up.com/artwork/ProdImage/TB29128.jpg ). Polyfilla is a powder that is mixed with water to fill holes and cracks in wood, plaster etcetera, also comes as a ready mixed paste in a tub or tube. Can be sanded smooth when dry, then painted.

Cinder block.
Dunno.
Spackle.
Respectively.