Using piano wire to cut chocolate

Page 1 of 3

Traditionally, I buy a ten lb bar of chocolate for Easter. Half goes to the kids. The other half goes in my desk drawer at work (plus half of what I gave the kids because they're not nearly as passionate as I am for chocolate, but that's another story).
Cutting this bar is never fun. I've thought about making a chocolate cutter out of a piano wire or maybe a guitar string - sort of like the big cheese cutters they use at the cheese store that I frequent. If I could heat the wire, it would make the job much easier. Is there a safe way to electrically heat such a wire sufficiently to cut chocolate? What sort of low-voltage circuit could I use for this? Or is this idea completely off the wall?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

resistance to heat up when you apply a current. You want something like nichrome wire which is used in styrofoam cutters. Check eBay. There are some which will run on 2 "D" batteries.
--
Grandpa

Grandpa wrote:

Or spring for one of the first item pictured on this page. It comes with several knife blade tips which should make short work of your job.
(Click on the small picture to enlarge and see what the blades look like.)
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Jeff, How many fathoms per fortnight would that be? Joe G

Don't make this into a project, unless you are bored. Simply heat a knife over your stove and then slice the bar.
On Mon, 2 Apr 2007 17:05:23 -0400, "Charles Schuler"

I say chill it, break it and give the small pieces to the kids. -- Oren

Too thick. It breaks into big chunks. Too big to eat.

stores, it was in broken chunks- obviously just wrapped in cheesecloth, and slammed on the chopping table real hard, and then unwrapped and repackaged. I bet it would break pretty cleanly over a fulcrum like a table edge. aem sends...

Tried that. The chocolate is about 2" thick. The knife appears to give up virtually all of its heat after about 1/8".
On 2 Apr 2007 15:15:06 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Cleaver. Hatchet. 8 Pound mallet.
Perhaps a chainsaw. WTF?
--
Steve Barker

YOU should be the one
On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 13:09:11 -0500, "Steve Barker"

I was going to suggest a band saw, but you will choc-dust.
-- Oren

And choc-dust contributes to global warming ... I know cause Al told me so.
On 2 Apr 2007 13:45:07 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Maybe give them something else instead. Or a one pound bar?
My mother was too thin as a child/teenagere, so my grandmother would give her a nickel to go buy a milkshake, another nickel to have them put an egg in it, and another nickel to get my mother to drink it.
Later, she had learned to love milkshakes and sweets, and it made it much more difficult for her to keep weight off.

They used to have, and maybe still do, the same wire cheese cutter in consumer size. I have two of them, and I would give you one, maybe, but they are from my mother and grandmother.

I was going to suggest 110 volts through a lightbulb and the wire, but after reading Grandpa, I realized that wouldn't work either. It wouldn't blow a fuse, but because there is so little resistance in the wire you mention, it wouldn't make any heat either.

The chocolate is actually for ME. The kids are just an excuse to buy the big bar. ;-)

Too late. I'm already addicted.

I've made those from guitar strings. Cheese can simply be cut. Chocolate needs the heat to do it well. Thanks for thinking about giving one to me, but I couldn't take it.

I don't think 110V is a good idea.
On 2 Apr 2007 15:21:02 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I suspected that about you, subconsciously or consciously.

To be fair, I didn't think about it much, and I only meant that if they weren't from my m and gm, then I would maybe give you one. But they are, so there's no maybe.
You're welcome anyhow.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in wrote:

toy train transformer and nichrome wire,use a wood X-frame to hold and tighten the wire,like a old-style saw.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Hershey sells a 5 lb bar;Wal-Mart used to carry them,cost about $38USD. It is the size of a hardbound book.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I buy the ten lb bar at the thrift store attached to the Blommer's Chocolate Company in Chicago. It's usually around $40. It's nice to be able to get real chocolate so cheap. Freshness is a plus, too.
On 3 Apr 2007 19:41:21 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I don't remember Blommer's.
But there used to be a barge on the Chicago river filled with cocoa or brown sugar or something for the candy company just north of the river and a bit east of Michigan Ave. Is that still there?