Using Mortar Mix for Chimney Cap

I think I read on that Ask the Builder guy site once that concrete mix should be used for a chimney cap. Then I think I saw on this NG where folks have successfully used mortar mix.
If so, how long has it been withstanding the test of time? I ask because I have a half a bag of type-s mix.
I assume when you put it on you slope it slightly away from the flue vs flat.
Thanks, Al...

Type S mortar is basically concrete without the gravel. Type N is the stuff that won't work.