Using Havahart traps to relocate animals

Page 3 of 3

Easy. Havahart traps are readily available. Drowning is mess free, no blood. And a snap trap could leave the animal in pain for many hours.
I've heard that they are good eating.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I had young groundhog once. Took it while bowhunting for deer. Cleaned, skinned and soaked in salt water over night and fried, tasted like chicken but tougher. I was only one in camp that would eat it and others were eating chicken ;)

Amazing. When I posted this the price was $41.20. Now it is $61.99. I would not have expected all the people here viewing the page to drive up the price.

Thr freight would probably kill you if you bought it online, but if there is a Harbor Freight down there they are about $20 in mine about every other week- http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber218
I have one that sat out all last summer & got a woodchuck, a possum, and a couple rabbits out of the garden. It looks none the worse for wear.
Jim

The new higher price includes free shipping. The $41.20 was clearly too low. It was out of line with the discounts from list price on the other Havaharts.

I like its price of only $24.99! I like the spring loaded doors. There is a decent sized plate to protect your hand when carrying it. I don't consider it being collapsible a plus, but it could reduce shipping costs. The holes though look like they could be too big to catch a squirrel.
But under it is one for squirrels for only $7.99! No guard below the handle for that price.
Shipping charges are $6.99 for the small one, $7.99 for the large one or both. So for $41 delivered I could have two traps.
Are you a fan of one or two doors?
-snip-

Sometimes a clear passageway will tempt a wary critter who won't enter a deadend. Woodchucks don't appear too bright, but I have had more trouble catching them than a lot of game species- squirrels and coons are too curious for their own good and possums are just always hungry. Rabbits have a sweet tooth & like a fresh apple in the off season. But woodchucks. . . .
2 doors also means twice the chance that the door won't close & latch perfectly- so there is a small price to pay. Usually you can use a 2 door trap as a one door trap for those critters who don't mind going into a dead-end box.
Jim

This is similar to one that I have, but I paid less for it years ago. I bought mine at TSC, I think Bomgarrs has them too.
If you have something setting off a trap and it's not getting caught it's probably a bird or less likely a snake. You could line the trap with some smaller hole rabbit/chicken wire.
To catch smaller animals in a larger trap, lay a larger board on top of the trip (maybe a 8"x10"x1/2") this allows the weight of a smaller animal to trip the trap. I used some scrap 2"x12"x10" in my trap to catch some stray cats. The cats would step over the trip until I layed down the board.
Cheers, Jim

Hi,
No snakes up here on my deck in Brooklyn. I did realize that in the dark I was not flipping the locking bails. A mistake I will no longer make. I caught three over the weekend and relocated them to a park that is frequented by lots of people. So there is garbage around and people sitting at park benches feeding the squirrels and pigeons.
Even with the locking bails properly positioned a couple times it was set off with nothing inside. Once I'm pretty sure was when a squirrel jumped from the railing onto the top of the trap that was on some window boxes. That will definitely set it off. I now have it in an open space. When I got home tonight it was set off with nothing in it. Could one be trying to reach inside? The large pan reaches to the sides. Then a small pan is in its center.
I know there is one more I want to get. But that may be the one that saw another squirrel trapped inside. It may have even seen it get caught. So it may be too savvy now to catch.
Anyway, for now I am continuing to use my 50 year old trap. But this was an enlightening discussion.

I had to cover areas of the trap. Squirrels would reach through the trap side to grab the bait. One time a possum squeezed into the trap. It was so big the fur came through the trap and the possum was square-shaped. I had to open both traps sides and push him out using a toilet plunger. Also, I have seen some animals with blood on their limbs, desperately trying to escape. Never caught any groundhogs, I guess they are leary of traps.