Using Extension Cord with Freezer

[snip]

My refrigerator (ordinary size side-by-side) is about 6 years old. When I first got it running after the power outage it was drawing about 1A. Power had been out about 15 hours, so I'd expect the compressor would be running then.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

You also should know what defrost current is. My 20 year fridge takes about

12 amps.

I use a 100 foot 14 gauge cord for small camper at camp. It has a 5kbtu air conditioner. Seems to run fine.

My compressor didn't start in the garage using Micky mouse hookup. I now use the wired receptacles using 10 gauge, 85 foot.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Suggestion: use the compressor set-up when camping...100' of #14 is foolish to use, whether it works or not!

Reply to
bob_villa

I bought the extension for power failures LOL I always keep it handy. One off my garage is 100 foot 12 gauge. I thought it migh have been priced wrong when I paid $25 at my local hardware.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

How does it work during a power failure? Is it pre-charged? I imagine you plug it into itself so the electricity does not leak out.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

This reply has totally got to be deserving of some kind of award. I've seldom been so inspired.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On Saturday, September 20, 2008 at 10:55:14 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wro te:

It's best to have a dedicated circuit installed. I had a customer last summ er that lost hundreds of dollars worth of frozen seafood because the recept acle in the garage was connected to a GFCI in the upstairs bathroom that wa s tripped. They had no idea until it was too late. If your freezer is fairl y close to your electrical panel it shouldn't be too expensive to have an e lectrician install a new circuit for you.

iwirekansas

I'm not sure what the present code is, but a fridge or freezer should not be on a GFCI for that reason, I understand than now it is required in the kitchen though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Deficated circuit for refrig is required here in new construction

Reply to
clare

summer that lost hundreds of dollars worth of frozen seafood because the receptacle in the garage was connected to a GFCI in the upstairs bathroom that was tripped. They had no idea until it was too late. If your freezer is fairly close to your electrical panel it shouldn't be too expensive to have an electrician install a new circuit for you.

"Deficated" circuits aren't worth $hit!!! (You get my vote for funniest typo of the month.)

Reply to
Robert Green

...you rang my bell, *DUNG*!

Reply to
bob_villa

I'm still laughing, that was so furry.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"What's brown and sounds like a bell?"

Reply to
hah

Bathroom should be on dedicated line..

Greg

Reply to
gregz

The outdoor receptacle on the deck off of the kichen is on the downstairs bathroom GFCI. Don't recall how I found out, but I've not tripped it in 30 years.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

With the recent thread, should that be a deficated line?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yes, Monty Python!

Reply to
bob_villa
[snip]

The receptacle behind my refrigerator is almost on a dedicated circuit. The bathroom light is on it too. I guess some electrician did it to avoid using more wire than necessary, as the bathroom is between panel and kitchen.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

replying to hr(bob) hofmann, CHARLENE M HOWLETT wrote: would it be safe? the extension cord would be running from my house outside outlet to the barn. it might be a shorter distance, i havent measured it, but what if it is between the 25-50 foot

Reply to
CHARLENE M HOWLETT