Using Extension Cord with Freezer

Page 3 of 3

I like those that have the 90 degree socket and are flat. I gaffer taped one down on my garage floor five years ago, and the gaffer's tape is still good. I wish duct tape was that good.
Steve

I'm insulted!!! :-)
snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

The only thing I would worry about would be the ends of the cords getting wet and corroding. A lot of freezers are in places that may get wet like a garage or basement. I would strap the extension cord to the wall to keep the plug and socket off the floor.
[8~{} Uncle Monster
Uncle Monster wrote:

A valid concern, but an extension cord zip-tied to nails on the wall starts to look like a permanent installation, which is a no-no in most places. If the area is damp, I would run another outlet. If pretty isn't a concern, wiremold is a valid and cheap option.
-- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote:

I've run a lot of Wiremold in both metal and plastic. I prefer the metal for power because most of what I do is commercial. The homeowner could put a plastic Wiremold box extension over the existing outlet box and run Romex inside the plastic channel to a surface mount receptacle box and have a neat installation. I wouldn't cable tie the extension cord to nails when one hole straps are readily available, that's silly.
[8~{} Uncle Monster
H. R. (Bob) Hofmann at att.net is alive and thriving on this group. My advice in 2008 is still good, and it's great to read that someone read my post and it actually worked out well for them.
Now, my current project is planning on putting ceramic tile down on a small full bathroom floor, and convincing my wife that I can do it and not call in someone else.
On Saturday, September 20, 2008 at 10:55:14 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wro te:

It's best to have a dedicated circuit installed. I had a customer last summ er that lost hundreds of dollars worth of frozen seafood because the recept acle in the garage was connected to a GFCI in the upstairs bathroom that wa s tripped. They had no idea until it was too late. If your freezer is fairl y close to your electrical panel it shouldn't be too expensive to have an e lectrician install a new circuit for you.
http://www.iwireelectricservice.com/

I'm not sure what the present code is, but a fridge or freezer should not be on a GFCI for that reason, I understand than now it is required in the kitchen though.

Deficated circuit for refrig is required here in new construction

summer that lost hundreds of dollars worth of frozen seafood because the receptacle in the garage was connected to a GFCI in the upstairs bathroom that was tripped. They had no idea until it was too late. If your freezer is fairly close to your electrical panel it shouldn't be too expensive to have an electrician install a new circuit for you.

"Deficated" circuits aren't worth $hit!!! (You get my vote for funniest typo of the month.)
--
Bobby G.

On 7/7/2015 3:25 AM, Robert Green wrote:

I'm still laughing, that was so furry.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Sunday, July 5, 2015 at 7:45:52 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

...you rang my bell, *DUNG*!
On 07/07/2015 06:35 AM, bob_villa wrote:

"What's brown and sounds like a bell?"
--
"The history on intellectual progress is written in the lives of
infidels." -- Robert Green Ingersoll (1833-1899),
On Tuesday, July 7, 2015 at 11:40:09 AM UTC-5, hah wrote:

Yes, Monty Python!

Bathroom should be on dedicated line..
Greg
On 7/8/2015 12:25 AM, gregz wrote:

The outdoor receptacle on the deck off of the kichen is on the downstairs bathroom GFCI. Don't recall how I found out, but I've not tripped it in 30 years.
On 07/08/2015 12:19 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[snip]

The receptacle behind my refrigerator is almost on a dedicated circuit. The bathroom light is on it too. I guess some electrician did it to avoid using more wire than necessary, as the bathroom is between panel and kitchen.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 7/8/2015 12:25 AM, gregz wrote:

With the recent thread, should that be a deficated line?
--
.
Christopher A. Young