Using Dimmer swithc with Halogen Low Voltage

I installed a dimmer switch (standard incandescent) for a low voltage halogen light. It works, but buzzes a little. I now know I am supposed to get a special dimmer, but they are harder to come by and more $$$. Assumming I can live with the buzzing, will using the incandescent dimmer:

1) Create a fire risk? 2) Burn out the light faster?
Reply to
MC

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (MC) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

If the dimmer can't handle the inductive load of the transformer, then it will fail. This is unlikely to cause a fire, but why take the chance? A proper dimmer should also eliminate the buzzing noise.

Old Fangled

You should not use that dimmer with a transformer. Simple dimmers work by clipping the sine wave and that is hard on transformers. It can burn up the transformer.

Reply to
Lawrence James