Using Compact Flourescents

I have read some messages about using compact flourescents, and checked some www sites that encourage it and indicate a pretty significant savings.
My questions are these:
1) Has anyone noticed a difference in their electrical bills? I for one switched to CF lights and haven't noticed any change in my billing.
2) Can you throw the suckers out? I remember being told you can't throw flourecent bulbs in the regular garbage because of the gases contained within. Is it the same for CF?
Cheers.
Justin West wrote:

Yes it will save you electricity, but unless you have a lot of lights and little other demands on the electricity you will not likely see it, but over the life of the lamp (well at least good modern ones) it will save a lot more than they cost.
In my area the are disposed of in the regular trash, there is no other option. Some areas do have special rules or options for disposal. They are not the problem of the old tubes were. Contact your local authorities to find out what is available in your area and I suggest taking advantage of any recycling options if you have them.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit
Joseph Meehan wrote:

Let me add that you will save more money in the summer than in the winter. In the winter the extra energy used by the electric lights will provide heat. That will reduce your heating expense. In the summer that extra heat would require the A/C to run longer and cost you more. In either case the percentage of your total energy bill difference will be small because the percentage of your energy bills for lighting are small. Other things like the refrigerator heating and cooling are far larger.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

imho:
From what I read, lighting only accounts for 10% of a utility bill. So using CFL's (if you use lumen for lumen) should only reduce it 75% of 10% of your bill, so quick math says 7.5% reduction.
Now if you are like me, you'll have to up the cfl level. Meaning what I got away with a 60w bulb, now I have to use a cfl the level of 75w, to get the same level of light. So CFL's are drop in a bucket I call my electric bill. ;)
tom @ www.YourMoneyMakingIdeas.com
On 19 Apr 2007 17:35:50 -0700, Mark snipped-for-privacy@Yahoo.com wrote:

[...]
Thanks a bunch for pointing to this rating comparison. Very useful. I will replace some of my dim-bulb <g> cheapies with good bulbs.
Aspasia
Most CFL's are not recommended for enclosed fixtures.