Using a Powerful magnet to remove Nails

Page 2 of 2
On 5/21/2015 7:07 PM, Ignoramus4563 wrote:

Visible light decreases with the square "inverse square law". Wonder why magnetism would be different?

wave vs. particle duality.
or field vs. photon.
photons have a velocity vector (2d), fields have strength(3d)
On Friday, May 22, 2015 at 10:17:14 AM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Stormin only believes in God particles.
On 5/22/2015 10:23 AM, trader_4 wrote:

It is written: Thou shalt have no other particles before me.
On Friday, May 22, 2015 at 10:17:14 AM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Because it doesn't.
Visible light does not decrease with the inverse square rule.
Visible light from a point source decreases with the inverse square rule.
Visible light from a line source like a fluorescent tube decreases with a simple inverse, no square involved, rule. Until you get far enough away that a line source appears to be a point.
Visible light from a plane source doesn't decrease at all, until you get far enough away that it appears to be a point.
TimR wrote:

I'm reasonably sure that those seeming contradictions are because a given point is receiving light from many areas of the large source. If one were to measure the light fall off of each of those areas, the inverse square rule would be true.
On Friday, May 22, 2015 at 1:37:48 PM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:

It's called math.
Weren't you required to derive the inverse square rule at some point? It's a straightforward application of geometry.
But you always have to check your assumptions. Those assumptions require a point source, or a reasonable approximation.
TimR wrote:

I don't recall having to do so but I used it daily for more than 40 years.

Indeed. Small enough so the light doesn't "wrap". Or distance...the sun is a "point source". In practical terms, source size relative to subject size.

Because there are always two magnetic poles, and the magnetic field in any point is the DIFFERENCE between the fields created by those poles. The difference decreases with cube of the distance.
snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

I may have read posts more inane than the above but if so, not in recent years.
You might have better luck pulling 'em out with the tractor beam on the Death Star.
LOL!
snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

Nail head is too small won't work.

There's another aspect I haven't seen mentioned. A moving magnetic field induces a current in metal. A magnetic field powerful enough to pull a nail might just heat it up enough to burn the wood it's in.