Using a ladder on a roof

Hello.
I need to repoint my chimney. To do so I need to put an extension ladder on a lower roof. Is there anything I need to know to make sure I do this safely?? Does it need to be secured somehow??
Thanks in advance.

Yes, it needs to be sitting securely on level solid ground. Either buy or rent a ladder tall AND sturdy enough to reach the roof, or hire a brick mason to do the work.
JMHO
Tom J
New ladders have instructions on labels you may want to look at one, securing with a bungie cord to gutter will help you feel more secure
mark Ransley wrote:

so a dumb fuck like you can't use one.
And when you find a ladder that will reach from the ground, you want to put a spreader bar at the top to widen the area of contact with the chimney. Then you need a body harness tied to a shock absorbing lanyard tied to a rope-grab tied to a vertical safety line that is tied to a grappling hook at the top of the chimney. That's what an osha-compliant roofer uses.

Please, do us all a favor and set up a video camera prior to attemting this. We would all love to see the results.
P.S. - Please don't post the video if everything goes smoothly.

SO, what's the other person going to do when the EMERGENCY comes up, call the undertaker?
The circus guy was right - one born every minute! ;-(
Tom J