Using 1x3's for drywall basement ceiling

I am finishing the drywall in the basement and some people have told me that i should use 1x3's on the joists first before putting up dry wall? Under what conditions should i use 1x3's?
Someone else told me to just nail drywall to joists?
Which is better?
Sam
Tye wrote:

First of all, 'screwing' the drywall (not nailing) to either is recommended.
1x 'nailers' aren't generally necessary unless you're installing the drywall over another surface that doesn't have exposed joists or studs and you need something to screw the drywall to.
Installing the 1x3 nailers is just doubling your work.
Why lower it with drywall and 1x3 you will loose head room . I would only use a shim where ever the joists are not level

If your joists are true and level. True meaning that they are evenly spaced. Then the 1x3 would only server to add more place to fasten. Water or laser level the ceiling in all 4 directions and about 3 feet apart. If it is level then forget the added lumber. Do not forget the diagonals.
AlanBown wrote:

How would screwing 1x3's to the joists make the ceiling level? Considering there's a probably a floor above it's most likely level. If it's an issue of being 'uneven' across the joists when straight-edged, that's different and would require shimming.
If it's sloped one could 'fir' it level by cutting shims also. Just nailing 1x3's to the joists is not going to make anything level.
What about diagonals?
Tye wrote:

I would use them if the surface of the joist are not flat.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia\'s Muire duit

Level and shim the 1 x 3's! Greg

drywall.
Clark Griswold wrote:

I know that, you know that, now the OP knows that :o)
When I did my basement I just put the sheet rock up to the joists. It might not be perfectly level, but to the eye, you really can't notice plus you will gain the maximum headroom. I also put in 1'X4' recessed flourescant lights that fit perfect between the ceiling joists. It really gives it a nice finish look. I also have a few hi-hats. The biggest problem I had with putting up the sheetrock is that some of the joists were not exactly 16"OC, so the edge of the sheetrock sometimes did not land exactly on the joist. But that was easily solved by nailing a 2X4 on the joist to "extend" it so now the sheetrock landing on solid wood.