Uses for Hydraulic cement...

I have recently found the quick hardening nature of Hydraulic cement to be very useful for patching things like my fieldstone fuoundation in areas where a regular mortar mix or concrete would tend to slide off.

The quick setting nature allows me to shape it in ways that either I couldn't do with ordinary mortar or concrete or that would require complex forms.

Other than the expense of hydraulic cement, is this a "legitimate" use or is hydraulic cement deficient to mortar or cement in structural ways that I will come to regret? (note none of my uses require extremely high compression or strength ratings)

If this is a proper use, then I must say that hydraulic cement is a great short-cut solution for small handyman repairs.

Thanks

Reply to
blueman

W. Wells

Reply to
blueman

Properly, hydraulic cement is any cement that cures by the addition of water, such as portland cement.

As a typical misnomer, "hydraulic cement" is portland cement mix with an accelerant to cause very fast setting. This can be useful for filling voids where water pressure is present. Tends to be wildly overpriced.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch