Used Drywall Compound To Hang Shower Tile

OK, I know, I'm stupid.

I just realized that I did one wall of my shower using drywall compound instead of thinset as an adhesive. In my defense, the buckets look similar....

The question is, am I screwed? Do I need to take down all of the tiles in question and rehang using the proper adhesive? The tile was put up over cement board, so, even if the grout fails and water gets behind the tile, it seems to me that the worst that would happen is the tile would come loose and I'd have to reattach it (using the proper adhesive, of course!).

I know the proper thing to do would be to start over, but I really don't want to have to do that unless I have to.

Any opinions from the experts out there? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Tom Walz

So I'm not an "expert" but I would certainly think that this install will fail with time. Let's see what the other's have to say but I say you should take them down and do it properly or plan to be digging into it again in a few months. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Take it down. Do it right. You are going over cement board I hope.

James "Cubby" Culberts>>OK, I know, I'm stupid.

Reply to
TP

I agree. One of the great things about ceramic tile is if the job is done correctly, it lasts almost forever. It does however take considerable care and time during the installation. My feeling is once it is done, I don't want to revisit it for a LONG time. I would do it right now, rather than wait for the inevitable.

Reply to
Ken

You could take them down now or wait until they start coming down by themselves in a few weeks.

Reply to
Rich

Reply to
SathurianMews

When one falls and breaks while showering you will agree 1 trip to the doc to remove ceramic in your feet was not worth it.

Reply to
m Ransley

Before I even got any responses, I decided to take them down and start over. They all come down pretty easy, which means they probably wouldn't have lasted long in a shower environment.

Not the dumbest thing I've ever done, but close. At least it was pretty easy to fix....just took some time.

Reply to
Tom

You did the right thing. That would have never lasted. One further comment. Have you had your eyeglasses checked lately? I know the buckets may look similar, but seriously get them checked. Either that. or slow down and concentrate when you do jobs. Not intended to piss you off, just a fact.... Haste makes waste. You proved that !

Reply to
anoldfart2

moisture migrates through grout fairly well, and drywall mud absorbs water really well. It will disintegrate rather rapidly. Bite the bullet ...

Bill

Reply to
rider89

Greetings SathurianMews,