Use Screws Or Holes For Wire In A Switch ?

Hello:
Was wondering about simple light switches that have both the conventional screw terminals, and also have the push in holes for the stripped wire in the back.
Are either just as good, and safe ?
Which do you folks use; the push in is certainly a bit simpler, but one wonders if the "grippers" inside really make as good and as secure a contact as well tightened screws ?
Thanks, Bob
Also have seen some experiencing problems with "right size" wire. Great concept but I reverted back to screws.

Robert11 wrote:

Both are equally legal and approved if used according to the instructions. OTOH, I get lots of calls from people with homes about ten years old that have sizzling, smoking, or defunct switches and outlets. Nearly always, it is because the push-in terminals have failed. Push-in terminals were invented to save a few seconds per device in the construction business. If you are doing your own wiring, use the screws.
--
Tony Electric
http://dotznize.com/electric

contact
In my home, I want as much contact with the wire as possible and that means side screws. I really dont want to come home to find out that the fire was caused by an overheated connection in a stab connection..while its prob rare, its not worth the worry. Take the extra 10 seconds and loop and tighten the wire.

The push in connections are good if you use the wire size (solid) specified on the switch. I've seen smaller sizes that pulled loose.
The side screws are always best. However... The better switches have back stab clamps that tighten down when you turn the side screws. They work reasonably well; just not as well as the side screw, but sometimes the convenience is worth it. The cheap switches have spring clips. They don't work worth a darn and should never be used. In fact, those switches should never be used either; just not worth it to save $1.

IMHO:
"Back stabbing" bad since it replies on a spring that will heat and cool over time. There is a reason why you can't use 12# in this way anymore.
I only use techniques that rely on screw pressure, either on the terminal, or via 'back wiring' Same direction as "back stabbing" but no spring, it uses a screw to apply pressure.
All this is an option, using 14# wire in 'back stabbing' applications doesn't appear to violate any code, and is allowed by 'labels and listings'.
hth,
tom
The push in kind where you can screw a plate down onit it are really the best kind if you want to do this. Look for ones called "spec grade". Note that there is sometimes more then one type of "spec grade" and you should check them first. And this is how I do it becasue it is easier to use and I use mostly stranded wire so it's either this or use ring lugs.