Use regular bulb in fans

Hi

Is it safe to use a regular bulb (not rated as a fan bulb) in a fan? The wattage rating of the regular bulb would not exceed the rating suggested by the fan.

Thanks Bob

Reply to
bagarow

Bob,

Yes, it's safe. The bulb life may be shortened by the vibration.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

The other issue is fit. The fan bulbs are physically smaller. Regular ones in my experience, are often too big.

Reply to
professorpaul

It will light OK, but you could get into big legal trouble. When the inspectors come to see if you still have all those "Do Not Remove Under Penalty of the Law" tags on your pillows and mattresses, they will cite you for a standard bulb in the fan. None of my business what you do, but I'd not take the chance.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Of course it's safe; the only real difference between "fan rated" and "normal" is that the fan-rated lamps can handle the vibration better. If it requires a stepladder to replace the lamps, then that would be an argument for fan-rated lamps, otherwise use the regular lamps.

Reply to
Bob M.

they have mini CF that save energy, soon regular bulb production will be illegal

Reply to
hallerb

I know a guy who knows a guy who sells those things, and I can get you some. They are forged in China, but look very authentic. They're pretty expensive, but worth it.

Reply to
mm

A have a couple of fans that won't allow you to put the light globe back on with a regular bulb. It's just a little too small.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd