Use patio furniture as front room furniture?

Page 1 of 2
Am on a very tight budget
anyone ever think abt using patio furniture indoors as front room furniture?
You can buy a well made set of patio furniture.... chair, love seat, coffee table, end table... for abt $500 total. It is lightweight and sturdy and made of plastic "wicker".
Anyone doing it? Work ok?
see link
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id%19819

No, you cannot use outdoor furniture in the house. Everyone knows that.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 19:03:33 -0500, Frank

He's right. You'll have worms and spiders. They come with the furniture, in the box.

Not sure about that but I think it is mandatory there to use inside furniture outside.
Seriously, my mother used a round wrought iron table with a glass insert top and the matching chairs in the kitchen. They were designed for the outside, but she thought it looked nice. It was like being outside**
**In the same ridiculous way that car makers claimed that having a vinyt top was like having a convertible. But still, the table was nice. Before we moved there, we had rettan funiture on the screened-in porch. It is similar to wicker. It would be fine indoors. Don't let the narrow-minded guests give you a hard time. If they start to criticize, show them your voodoo room and the spells you can cast and that will get their mind off the furniture.

Actually, it's against federal law. Article 273, section 165.03.
But, we used an outdoor picnic table with benches, for about 10 years in our kitchen. Then, we could finally afford something half way decent.
We got a lot of compliments on how our kitchen looked rustic, when using the picnic table. No one said zip about our taste for a real table. Go figure.

My daughter does it, except she is short of $$ and buys used.

But I bet they're not foreclosing on her house.
On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 15:11:12 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Why not?
You could buy some bag chairs and tv trays a hell of a lot cheaper than that.

tight budget? try this link. http://www.fedexfurniture.com /

Why not?
We have a large family room. This fall when we were putting the outdoor stuff away my wife suggested we bring in our glass top "cafe" table and use it in the family room so it would not get damaged. We now enjoy breakfast together while watching the morning news before I head out to work. I'm going to miss it come summer when it goes back outside.

Been there, done that. Loved it. Lots of stuff available at yard sales. Lots of fluff items that make your living room look like a patio at a condo in Cabo. Definitely relaxing. If you have room, put up a hammock, too. A very casual air for entertaining. And you're not worried about anyone getting bean dip on the leather sofa.
Steve

well I know it sounded crazy but I like the light weight and sturdiness of the patio furniture better than regular furniture

Yeah. You want a little better angle on the TV, and it's easy to just move a chaise rather than moving a couch. Easy to rearrange quickly if you want more room for a party. Easy to add a couple of more chairs for this and that. Very flexible. And if it gets bean dip spilled on it, just take it outside and hose it off.
Steve
That's a decent set, I have the same one ( outside on my patio) and it has held up for 2 years just fine. I'm sure it will be great inside too. You might need to put something under the bottom to avoid scratching the floor if it's wood or soft tile, but other than that..why not?
--
Mikey S.
< snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net> wrote in message

Who cares? It's your house. Haven't you ever been to someone's house who had hideous furniture (you thought), but they loved it? Do what you like and don't worry what others think. Tell them it's Armani, and cost $18,000, and doesn't it look lovely?
Steve

Yeah right!

Only those who are uppety and think they are the Jones's.

Sure, if you have $500 DOLLARS on a 'tight' budget.

Seriously though, it's furniture. :-)
All kidding aside....
If you are comfortable on it, who cares what we all might think. My wife and I had empty paint buckets (5 gallon size, 1 gallon would just be silly) as our first chairs in our apartment. We had no mattress, just our blankets and pillows on the floor in the bedroom. Our dining table/coffee table was 2 more buckets with a board across the top. :-)
The only caution I would have would be the strength of the patio furniture for those on the heavier side of life. I have some friends who may not want to sit on patio furniture because it might give way. Plastic/Wicker may not be sturdy enough for extended use.
Tim

$500 for living room furniture is a VERY tight budget. Unless you buy junk that will sag and wear in a few years..
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

to find, especially in styles you can stand. (I have a lot of used stuff, but finally gave up on the couch and chair and bought new. All the decent used stuff was way too huge for my 1960-sized living room, which is tiny by modern standards.)
aem sends...

Ahhhhhhhh yes, the old days of Pier 1 hatch covers, free wire rope spool end and coffee tables, bean bag chairs, and cinderblock bookcases with plywood shelves. How did we EVER live before we became civilized?
Steve