US Flag spotlight

Hey all -

Any experience with what type of lighting is best for lighting a flag?

It's going to be about 25' up, and the flag is approx 5' long.

I'd prefer to get as tight a beam as possible on the flag, so as not to piss off the neighbors at night.

Thanks Matt

Reply to
Matt

I use a 45-watt spot lamp made for outdoor use. It's a Halogen lamp made by GE. Looks just like the flood lamps used for security lighting, but the beam is only 12-degrees wide. Bought it at Home Depot. The only thing that lights up is the flag and the pole. Nothing shoots up into the sky.

Dick

Reply to
Dick

Cool. Thanks!....

Sounds exactly like what I'm looking for.

How far from the pole did you install it? Initially I was thinking of installing the lamp about 4' from the pole, but now I'm thinking the best thing might be is to install right at the base and aim it straight up.

Thanks again Matt

Reply to
Matt

I put the lamp in an outdoor socket that has a spike on the back. I stuck it in the ground, pointing straight up, about a foot from the pole. I use a timer that has a photo-electric cell so it turns on at dusk and off at dawn.

Dick

Reply to
Dick

I thought it was considered disrespect for the flag if you fly it at night. You are supposed to take it down at sunset.

Reply to
Walter R.

You can fly the flag at night as long as it is lit that is why he wants to buy a light. Just remember you will probably need more than one light since it will need to be lit no matter which direction it is waving. At the AF Base where I work they have 3 light facing straight up at the base of the pole. They would only light the flag. The odd part is they take the flag down at night as far as I can recall.?

This web site explains it all.

The more vertical the light the better off you will be as the light will not be seen at all unless the flag crosses the beam so it will not be noticeable from your neighbors

Wayne

Reply to
wayne

Government offices that do not provide services after hours are supposed to lower the flag when the office closes. All others are free to fly lighted all weather flags around the clock.

Reply to
HorneTD

The best kind of lighting "downlights" the flag from a small rack of LEDs or low wattage incandescent spots on top of the flag pole directed downard. There's little stray light and very few watts are required.

An alternative if you have to mount the lighting fixtures on the ground is to use two or three 20 or 25 watt PAR36 or MR16 low voltage narrow spot lamps (12 volt). Use a fixture with a long tube or shield so that the light doesn't spill in all directions and is directed only where the flag will be. Power the system with a transformer designed for outdoor landscape lighting. Some transformers have a timer or photocell/timer combinations so they are on only when it's likely that someone will be looking at the flag.

TKM

Reply to
TKM

Flag protocol requires that the flag be lighted from dusk to dawn. Between those times you can't turn the lighting off just because it's not likely that someone will be looking at it.

Reply to
Dick

Burn the flag,the rest of the world will love you for it.

Reply to
matt

This part of the world won't.

Reply to