US: Chinese drywall not harmful

Page 2 of 2

I can't wait to hear a reply on the recycling issue.
I often wonder about all those wierd specs I see in the cardboard backing on my writting paper pads.
                 - = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm http://www.facebook.com/vasjpan2 ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]
Why is gypsum used instead of lime?
I've noticed patching compound is sometimes now made of lime instead of gypsum. I think lime won't crack like gypsum (which is why gyspum needed asbestos or horse hair or straw before today's plastics).
In Greece, the preferred building material is quicklime. But USA (dolomitic) lime has magnesium, while Greek is almost pure calcium. THey even use it in making fruit preserves. When I had a dog we painted his house with lime because he bit it and I felt it was safest. (I added some food oil to the conventional lime sold for lawns.)
                 - = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm http://www.facebook.com/vasjpan2 ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]
sometimes the asbestos comes from the mine, but I wonder if it got there by recycling.
                 - = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm http://www.facebook.com/vasjpan2 ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]
I'm crossposting to the geologists so they can better tell us what the typical content of gypsum and quicklime (regular or dolomitic) are. I've even heard asbestos is found in talc but I never confirmed. Also how the minerals found in China are different from those customarily used in American construction.
*+-A couple other drywall factoids I got from a friend: *+-Drywall can contain asbestos. If a material contains less than 1% *+-asbestos it is not regulated [1% seems rather high to me]. Some Chinese *+-drywall has been found to have 3% asbestos.
*+-Drywall contains gypsum (it is also called gypsum board). Gypsum is *+-calcium sulfate, so 'normal' drywall contains sulfur (but bound in the *+-gypsum molecule).
                 - = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm http://www.facebook.com/vasjpan2 ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

idiots
OK, read *carefully*, it doesn't declare the stuff innocent, just that they have "found no evidence". Well, where do you LOOK for such evidence?
They verified what can be easily verified, that the emissions are there.
But they need a time machine to go back and watch the damage that was done a year ago.
J.
I've been hearing this story for months. I don't understand how this happened. Drywall is supposed to be gypsum, but supposedly some of the troubling drywall that was USA-made had cellulose in it and emitted formaldehyde as well as sulfide. Is this some sort of go-green recycling issue? Did the Chinese make this drywall for us or did they also use it for themselves? In the 1970s folks pumped foam between their walls and choked from formaldehyde. Is there some insulation additive? I sometimes freak when I find all the additives in stuff I buy for the house. I mean, when I buy one thing, I can mix the other stuff myself (I'm a chemical engineer!). THat's how we got asbestos and other stuff into our homes. The 1965 late engineer told my late dad the asbestos siding was "a new material that never needs replacing." Well, not in their lifetimes. The asbestos siding on my block that hasn't beenreplaced or covered has a lot of paint fading.
                 - = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm http://www.facebook.com/vasjpan2 ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]
Dear vjp2...:
On Nov 28, 9:35pm, snipped-for-privacy@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

Like the story of leaded paints on toys, and melamine added to baby formula.

They are still learning. The person that decides to do the shortcut is praised for the savings, and (usually) cannot suffer a penalty.

I hadn't heard about USA made stuff doing that, but then again, when you start cutting "unnecessary" personnel...

Probably not.

Yes.
I heard they did that too.

... and from loss of circulation, getting air into the house. We (and sometimes our heaters) remove oxygen from the atmosphere, and add CO2. So somehow this needs to be equilibrated to normal atmospheric levels, without losing too much heat / cold in the process...
David A. Smith
Sorry for the clutter, but I think I figured it out: the "cellulose" (that was added either to insulate or cheapen) released formaldehyde which then reacted with the gypsum which then releaed HS gas?????
THe question which still bugs me is why they added cellulose. (THis was the guy who submitted AMERICAN MADE sheetrock to MIT for testing.)