Urinals for the home -> why not?

Page 3 of 4
On 12/10/2011 4:19 PM, Robert Green wrote:

unless someone has a urinary tract infection, a "clean catch" urine specimen will culture either nothing at all, or harmless, non-pathogenic bacteria. People with functioning kidneys excrete urea in their urine. There are many agents in the environment (once the urine is outside the body) capable of breaking down urea and ammonia is the common breakdown product.

Someone snipped the "unless it isn't" clause.
Bernt Berger wrote:

So your answer is - yes. ?
Bizarre.
Bill wrote:

Is that relevant to this conversation?
On 12/10/2011 8:04 AM, Home Guy wrote:

guess you don't piss in the shower either. yeah right.
--
Steve Barker
Home Guy wrote:

If, oh, 70% of American males report that they have, on occasion, used a sink as a urinal, we can safely conclude that 30% of American males lied.
Aside from not having to put the seat down, so doing saves water.
It's for the children.
HeyBub wrote:

You really are serious - aren't you?
My jaw dropped after reading that.
Hill billies and frat boys I would expect maybe to piss in a sink. I guess I know which group you belong to.
Home Guy wrote:

Uh, yeah.

You evidently have very limited expectations, no doubt from leading a sheltered, and female-controlled, life. Perhaps you should get out more. Experience the world. Learn new ways of doing things. Kill a terrorist. Enjoy life.
In my very practical part of the country, the men's room in many bars do not have urinals. No need. They do have partitions around each sink so one can have privacy while washing one's hands - or engaging in other pursuits.
HeyBub wrote:

Only a neanderthal would piss in a sink if a urinal or a toilet was nearby and just as conveinent.

What part of africa do you live in?
Is anyone else buying this?
Commercial establishments in Texas (that serve food - such as bars and taverns) that have specifically placed washroom sinks to be used also as urinals?
Is it April 1, or is this for real?
Home Guy wrote:

Sigh. Urinals and toilets don't have mirrors.

I don't live in Africa.

Do you see anyone, other than you, disagreeing with the concept?

Perhaps you should have a lie-down. Evidently your golden idol is tarnished.

...or into the wind. We never tug on Superman's cape or pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger, either.
On 12/10/2011 11:04 AM, Home Guy wrote:

is strange? Just think of all the pathogens you put into the sink when you wash your hands after handling raw poultry or meat, after wiping your butt, petting your dog, doing yard work, etc.
Peter wrote:

Are you just talking hypothetical here, or do you / would you use a bathroom sink as a urinal when all you have to do is turn around and piss in the toilet?
If you're talking hypothetical, then I can say that you probably don't want you sink to smell like a urinal is a good reason not to use it like one.
Another reason is that the sink is not built to capture and contain a urine stream.
Another reason is that the sink is normally situated at or above the belt-line, meaning you'd probably have to get one knee up onto the counter or the sink basin in order to actually piss into the sink.
Funny how I have to bring up those obvious points in order to talk sense into you yanks.
Home Guy wrote the following:

When you wash your hands afterwards, the water and soap will flush the sink.

It captures a stronger water stream from the faucet! To contain it, if you wanted to, but I don't know why, you have to close the stopper.

You must be very short.

First, I don't think this is just applicable to Yanks. Secondly, it is not done as a regular practice.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

Yes, because the faucet is pointing directly DOWN, usually right over the drain hole.

Your average bathroom sink will be sitting no lower than 30 or 31" above the ground, and I'd argue more like 32 to 36 inches (36 for pedestal sinks).
Which means unless you're Wilt Chamberlain, your stream is going to hit the side of the basin and splatter up onto the counter or the surround.
Sinks don't have a recessed overhang like toilets do to at least try to capture this overspray.

You're right. I'll include eastern europeans, africans and arabs.

Under what circumstances have you or would you piss in a bathroom sink and not the bathroom toilet?

I've done it maybe twice in many years when the wife and I came home from a road trip and both had to hit the toilet NOW. I wasn't about to tell her to use the sink. It splashes some yellow in the sink. Easier to rinse off than that nasty toothpaste you spit in there. I don't see it as a big deal. I'm 5' 8" so I had to stand on my toes. If I was a bachelor and taller I might make a practice of it. Since I'm neither it's much easier to just use the toilet. But the sink is more efficient than flushing a toilet.
In the basement I have a quart plastic jug on the back of the deep laundry sink. I can piss in that without splashing a drop, and pour it down the sink drain without splashing a drop in the sink itself. I don't even bother running the faucet after pouring it down, and have asked my wife if she ever smells piss when doing laundry. "No." So a jug is as good as a urinal in my case.
--Vic

I've lived in high-rise apartment or condo buildings where plumbers have to shut off the water to do maintenance. On those occasions, of course I pee in the sink.
And when I had to, I put an extra trash bag in a wastebasket and took a crap in there too.
-- Steven L.
"Steven L." wrote:

Um - and the toilet is somehow not usable in this situation because ... ?

Um - and the toilet is somehow not usable in this situation because ... ?
Strange people.
It didn't occur to you to go and get a bucket of water to flush your piss or shit down the toilet?
(I guess that requires you to think ahead and have a bucket of water on-hand before they turn the water off - something you normally get 24 hours notice of)
And I can't see how they'd shut off water in a multi-unit building for more than a few hours. But I guess that's long enough for you to panic and piss in your sink and take a shit in a wastebasket. That's actually funny - in a sad way.
On 12/11/2011 10:42 AM, Steven L. wrote:

In those situations, I usually use the balcony.

After we had a house fire a few years ago my insurance company balked on footing the bill for a new kitchen sink till the carpenters that were rehabbing the house admitted to using it as a urinal while the bathroom was out of commission. After their confession the insurance co quickly agreed to pay for a new sink.