Urinals for the home -> why not?

Page 2 of 4
willshak wrote:

What does that have to do with the price of tea in china?

The above was obviously written by someone that is clueless. What great savings is there in a urinal that requires a drain, but no water supply? A flush valve isn't going to add a big premium to the cost of the thing. I bet the waterless one costs MORE than a regular one. And anyone experienced in plumbing or building knows that it's usually the drain system that is more of a problem than the water supply. With PEX for example, you can easily run water almost anywhere. A drain, vent, etc is more problematic.
As to the question at hand as to why not urinals in more homes, I think it comes down to a few things:
Bathrooms in most homes don't have the additional space.
You already have a toilet that gets cleaned regularly. Adding a urinal is just one more thing to clean.
It would be viewed as unusual by many people, affecting resale.
I think the example of them being installed in high end homes with his and hers bathrooms is an example of where they can make sense. I would not mind having one, but unless I had a his/hers thing and plenty of room I would not put one in for the above reasons.

Just sit down and avoid lifting something that is heavy.
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww gross

You should talk.
There is nothing more gross than a woman's vagina.
It's teeming with microbes of many different strains.
http://www.textbookofbacteriology.net/normalflora.html
And it's constantly oozing secretions on which bacteria can act, producing nauseating odors.
-- Steven L.
On 12/11/2011 10:36 AM, Steven L. wrote:

Sounds like you'd like a date with Melissa?
Check out her story at Court TV's website:
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/west-virginia/woman-utters-line-never-previously-recorded-police-report
On 12/11/2011 8:01 PM, Moe Gasser wrote:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/west-virginia/woman-utters-line-never-previously-recorded-police-report
I don't know what the problem is, cats are eaten just like dogs are in other cultures. ^_^
TDD
Should be one in the bedroom on his side of the bed. For the three or so times he's got to go in the middle of the night. And one in the cellar, next to the work bench.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
harry wrote:

Nice try at an insult.
No, I don't lead a sheltered life.
But I don't frequent women's restrooms either. Perhaps you do?
On 12/9/2011 7:38 PM, Home Guy wrote:

If you intend to meet the needs of average height or tall teens/adults, why bother? Just use the sink and you will need less than a quart of water to "flush" afterwards. We're so prudish/squeamish in this society! If you have young boys or the facilities will be used by frequent guests, that's a different situation.
Peter wrote:

Ok, this is getting strange.
I can't believe the number of people mentioning or proposing the use of the sink as a urinal instead or in place of having a real urinal.
Do you Americans really do this?
Do you or would you consider using the bathroom sink as a sort-of urinal?
When I said (in another thread) that your ways are strange to us, I had no idea how true that was...
On 12/10/2011 10:04 AM, Home Guy wrote:

I never have.

There are idiots everywhere.
Jim
the feds are talking of requiring urinals in all new or major remodel homes to save water and sewage....
about a cup of water flush

I'm always amazed at the waterfree urinals I see in some places. Totally odorfree. And looking at their cost (Amazon F-1000 = $340), they may be very cost efficient in a home with a few males and high water costs.
--
Best regards
Han

Have you added in the cost of the 5-10 ft^2 (and wall space)? How about three or four times that, for each bathroom? Our master bathroom is almost large enough but there is no wall space free to hang it. The others, forget it.
On 12/10/2011 11:04 AM, Home Guy wrote:

Urine is sterile.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urine
On 12/10/2011 11:04 AM, Bernt Berger wrote:

Unless it isn't. Jesus, what a dumb thing to say.
Jim

<stuff snipped>

It's true, it a purely scientific sense, not a practical one. From the wiki site:
<< Urine is sterile until it reaches the urethra where the epithelial cells lining the urethra are colonized by facultatively anaerobic Gram negative rods and cocci. Subsequent to elimination from the body, urine can acquire strong odors due to bacterial action, and in particular the release of asphyxiating ammonia from the breakdown of urea. In medieval times clothes were stored in a garderobe (literally 'to guard ones robes') close to the toilet shaft because this ammonia would kill the fleas. The term garderobe became a euphemism for toilet for that reason.>>
As a teen I used to work in a stable in NYC with about 40 horses. If the hay wasn't mucked out daily the stench of ammonia would be so powerful it could knock you down. My folks made me change my work clothes before they'd let me back in the house. The cat I saved from the stable well stank of horse piss and ammonia for about a week after I brought him home. Put a horseshit covered 20p nail all the way through from the bottom of my boot out through the top. It's quite a surprise to look down and see something sticking up out of your boot top. Solved the problem of removing it by getting woozy and just falling off it. ER treatment consisted of a tetanus shot, an X-ray and a long, long soak in a bowl full of PhisoHex.
On the plus side, I didn't have any fleas, though! I did get ticks, which apparently are very fond of horses. Discovered one of them when I went to use the urinal, FWIW, attached to the end of my you-know-what and a few others making their way up my leg, even though I was wearing cowboy boots. Was naive enough to go to the ER where the nurse said "Didn't you have any Marlboros?"
-- Bobby G.

Good stories!!
--
Best regards
Han

Forgot to add that although the nail didn't break any bones, that foot has become something of a barometer, aching when the weather's about to change. The horses came to mind because I had just read a news story about how the PETAn's and others are trying to have the NYC hansom carriage rides shut down because it's "cruel to horses." I'm all for treating animals decently but horses have been earning a living pulling things ever since there were things that needed pulling. Why do they need protection from something they were born and bred to do?
I learned a lot working at one NYC's only horse stables as I am sure those that care for the hansom cab horses do. At some point someone has to declare that animals aren't people. Next thing you know the PETAn's will be demanding the right to vote for horses. Cynical New Yorkers claim that the only thing driving this recently reignited protest is that a real estate developer wants the very valuable land the stables are situated on. An ASPCA doctor claims she was coerced into writing a negative report about their care.
When I drove hay wagons through the streets of Staten Island the horses didn't seem to mind - they would run the route themselves if we had let them. There was always a stream of little kids coming out to look at the Clydesdale teams we ran (Punch & Judy, Bonnie & Clyde, Jack & Jill and a few more my poor fading memory can't recall).
I am certain that for many, it was the only time in their lives they had ever been 10 feet away from a real horse. Yes, we had accidents. People got hurt, horses got hurt, cars got banged up but it wasn't often and it certainly didn't justify shutting the whole operation down as the PETAn's are trying to do to the cab drivers. The real irony is that if the hansom cab rides are forced to shut down, a lot of the horses running that route will likely be put down. Yeah, PETA, show us how much you love animals. Better dead than alive and doing what I think they clearly enjoy doing. I say that only because I know what it takes to get a horse to do something it DOESN'T want to do.
<sermon over>
-- Bobby G.