Urgent ..Please help...

I am writing regarding a home in the Bay Area, CA.

My sister bought it NEW about 8 years ago.

There is a leak in the pipes (bath tub area) inside the walls and is dripping to the first floor. This could be serious and cost a lot of money to repair.

Can anyone pls tell me what is the warranty for for such pipe leaks ?

We tried recaulking the bath tub ...but it did not help.

Is the builder responsible for this ?

What is the law with respect to home builders and plumbing/leaks/ related warranties ? is it 10 years ?

In speaking with the HomeBuilders they brushed us off ...saying the warranty is only a year or so.

Do we stand on legally strong grounds ?

Thanks Rita

Reply to
ritagoldman101

see body of text

Probably none after 8 years. Do you know what material was used for the water system? There are some recovery methods for certain types of PVC flexable tubing.

Leak inside the wall and you caulked the tub, your joking

Probably not after 8 years, what does the contract say

What does the contract say? Where I live the structure is the only thing guarnteed beyond 2 years.

Your stand on the fault line, not strong at all.

Call a plumber ASAP and get the leak fixed. BEFORE it causes thousands of dollars in damage.

Reply to
SQLit

I bet the tub/shower valve is dripping inside the wall.

Reply to
Pat

Ms. Goldman, the chances of your sister having any warranty on a home's plumbing after 8 years, unless she has been paying maintenance insurance premiums is ..... gornisht mit gornisht.

Tell her to stop dreaming about warranties, learn about "maintenance costs" with regard to owning her own home, and call a plumber before she gets mold inside the ceiling and walls and has *real* problems. It may be too late for that already.

Gut Shabbos,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Most problems that I have seen and heard about come from the tub drain/trap connection. Usually a dried out gasket in the slip joints or corrosion.

Reply to
EXT

Yes, it certainly could. So why are you wasting your time asking about warranty issues on Usenet, when you should be picking up the phone and calling a plumber to get it fixed? Your first priority is to fix the leak, before it causes any more damage than it already has. If the problem *is* covered under warranty -- doubtful after 8 years, but possible -- you can probably be reimbursed later. Get it fixed now. Worry about who's going to pay for it later.

Varies from builder to builder, and no doubt from state to state also. Maybe even from city to city within the same state.

If you already know that "there is a leak in the pipes" why would you suppose that recaulking the tub would have any effect?

Probably not after 8 years. Especially in a seismically active area.

Ummm... shouldn't you be asking a *lawyer* that question?

What does the warranty paperwork say?

Probably not. But only a local lawyer can give you an accurate answer to that question.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Depends on the builder and what was offered. There should be some paperwork regaring warranty. I doubt it is 8 years though.

Recaulking does not fix leaking pipes.

Probably not after all this time. Stuff happens. things wear out. This is part of home ownership.

Never heard of such a thing. What did the warranty say from the builder? Usually only major stgructural defects would be covered.

I don't think so. Check out

Edwin Pawlowski

It's not a car it's a home so you can't blame a dealership or manufacturer for wear and tear. Call a plumber and git er done.

Reply to
sleepdog

Guys-

You all missed the most important piece of info...........Ms Goldman is writing about a "new home" purchased 8 years ago in the BAY AREA (that would be the San Francisco bay area).

Norhern California (esp the bay area) is the center of "no person responsibility", it's always someone else's fault.

About her question as to the existence of a warranty claim.........she's thinking about the ~10 year limit on construction defects in California.

If she can prove a defect in design, material, construction or installation perhaps she has a claim against the reponsible party but the legal & techincal expert costs to persue such a claim would make this a losing effort.

OP-

How long since the leak was first noticed? Get someone on the job to find the cause & stop the leak, then look into the repairs needed to the sub-structure & the finishes.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Best thing to do is hire a lawyer to sue over the warranty. DON'T FIX IT or you will be destroying the evidence!

(I sure hope you are trolling...)

Reply to
Toller

OK, lets start with a little 'netiquete. It's customary (and polite) to use a relavant subject line, such as "Pipe leaking in wall, I need help", rather than "Urgent ..Please help..." I almost didn't read this post because I figured it was spam or a scam of some sort

It's not new anymore, things happen...

How do you know it's the pipes?

If left alone, it WILL be serious. Not sure what you consider "a lot of money" but an ordinary pipe leak needen't be very expensive (more than a few hundred dollars), unless there's a lot of rot/other water damage to repair. Home repairs that are a few hundred dollars aren't considered "a lot of money" in my book -- that would be reserved for things like a furnace going out or a foundation crumbling, which would cost thousands.

Certainly not 8 years. A year would be typical, I believe.

Others have already beaten this point -- but if you said the pipes were leaking why calk the tub?

Very doubtful, unless you can somehow prove it was a faulty installation. Even then I doubt it anymore. Things break. It's part of home ownership.

Murphy's Law says things will break, at the worst possible time, and cost more than you think.

There you have it.

Legally speaking you are on very strong grounds-- grounds to take care of the repair yourself, like all of us who own a home do. You can either do your own repair, or hire it out.

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Excellent Bob. If she was in SoCal I'd add just one thing; appearance is everything.

Reply to
G Henslee

Gee, I'd thought in CA, you'd want to focuss group, relate to the experience, and, like, invite all your friends over, man. Lets stay on topic, here. She didn't ask for the way to fix the drip, she asked for opinions as to the liability.

Now for my on topic reply. I'd think you should call the local television's trouble shooter. And also the attorney generals office of your county. Notify your personal attorney, or the public defenders office, if you don't have one. In the meantime, go live in a motel, and keep the receipts. Call the news papers, every half hour on the half.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Why did San Diego get all the lawyers and San Francisco get all the homosexuals?

San Francisco got first choice!

Are you sure? Maybe a drain pipe was not fitted right and water is leaking at a coupling (or in my case a rubber sleeve was not installed properly) and draining water is following the pipe down from the break. I presume this is intermittent, because you would have fixed a flood by now. A two dollar piece amounts to removing wall board, etc.

You are farting in a space suit!

oren

Then she was off-topic. This is alt.home.repair, not alt.free.legal.advice or alt.sue.the.world.

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

I don't know about warranties, but you need to fix the leak ASAP. Mold can be a worse heath issue than water damage. Make sure you spray the inside of the wall with bleach or a mold inhibitor after you fix the leak. Is the leak on the straight section of the pipe or on the solder joint? You need to cut out a section of the wall and see exactly how bad the leak is so you can fix it.

Ace hardware has a clamp for about $7 for a leak on the straight section of copper pipe. That has worked for me in the past. I used a Instaclamp (instaclamp.com) on my 1/2' solder joint leak and fixed the leak in 5 minutes. The $25.00 it cost me beat the cost of a plumber or me having to solder it.

Hope this helps,

Sozoman

Reply to
Sozoman