urgent .....need advice....tarvertine / Onyx

urgent .....need advice....tarvertine / Onyx in homes
My friend is buying a brand new home in the SF \\ Bay Area, California
1. with Travertine flooring
Any thoughts on travertine ?
easily stained ?
high maintenance ?
good / bad for floors ?
2. Onyx in bath room, bath tub area
same questions as above ......
Any pointers / Suggestions ?
Pls send me your comments.
Thanks
Ava
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Travertine and onyx are two very different things. Travertine is calcium carbonate, usually deposited from solution around springs and the like. Onyx is a very fine grained quartz; other similar minerals are flint and chert.
Calcium carbonate is very soft - the only thing softer that comes to mind at the moment is talc; quartz is very hard. Calcium carbonate is easily stained and porous; onyx is not.
If it were my house I'd be happier if the choice in each area had been reversed.
--

dadiOH