Urethaning a front wood door

I have a wood front door that needed (due to age) to be stained and urethaned again. This is the first time since the door was new (originally stained and urethaned then). I managed to stain it again nearly to my satisfaction (I'm picky) and I put one coat of urethane (Helmsman spar urethane clear gloss) by brush on the door but I see a little traces of brush marks in certain light. Is it okay to put a 2nd coat of urethane by brush on and will it lessen the brush marks?
2nd question- If I wanted to do it like a professional, do they sand the door down to bare wood then stain it and urethane it? I'm not 100% satisfied with my own stain job but it's okay for most people.
I try to stay away from gloss because of the issue of brush marks etc. Wipe on poly's seem to work good with a rag and some can be thinned to delay the drying so it will settle out the brush marks, but I have never tried thinng myself see what the can says abt a second coat but my guess is the brush mark will still be there <observer> wrote in message >I have a wood front door that needed (due to age) to be stained and

On Apr 18, 2:33pm, observer wrote:

One coat is not enough protection anyway, one coat cant get a good finish on wood. First coat soaks in, not unitil 3 is it realy protecting. Not until maybe 5 can it look great. 1st coats should be gloss since gloss is clear, satin finish is slightly cloudy. I would build coats, sand with 200-220 inbetween, clean with a tack cloth, maybe the last coat of satin finish if you dont like gloss. Dont varnish the door warm, in sun, or when it will soon be in sun.
On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 13:19:16 -0700 (PDT), ransley

Thanks. You made me think that when I was young my dad (a carpenter) urethaned a hanging bay window (in his house) and I remember him saying he must have urethaned the wood seat about 10 times. I think he used a brush because it was in tight area inside the kitchen. I don't recall seeing any brush marks on his finish but he was a perfectionist and handy and I'm not :( .
I will take your advice and thank you again.
<observer> wrote in message >I have a wood front door that needed (due to age) to be stained and

Try something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
byaRgfRAg
observer wrote:

In addition to the other advice, take the door down - work on it while it's horizontal.